Copying from one drawing to another

harley558

Isn't there a way to copy from one drawing to another with both drawings opened and both visible on your screen? I thought that one of the changes Autocad made a few years ago was the capability of moving/copying objects from one drawing to another with both being opened. I thought there was like some type of drag/drop

capability.

Right-click and on the flyout menu you have Copy and Copy with Base Point. In the second drawing right-click and select either Paste or Paste as Block.

Thanks, one reason I am asking is because I have already tried that method and when I pasted it actully pasted something else. I have even done WBLOCK and same thing happened even as far as bringing in same thing it did when I copyed.

Drag-n-drop also works as long as you don't need to drop the selection precisely. Just select the objects, left click on any part of the selection that isn't a grip, and drag it into the other drawing. like this

I use it all the time (the right-click method) and can probably count on two fingers the number of times I got an unexpected result. I chalked it up to an OIE (Operator Induced Error). Bottom line: I was rushing to get through something and did not pay attention to what I was doing. My bad. I don't like "my bads".

Just was curious if anyone else has had that problem. Weird thing is using the wblock when going to insert the block it gives you a preview of what is being inserted (which was what I made) but when I go to insert it was something totally different. Even had my boss try it. Every method he used he got same results I was.