Valid Boundary Not Found for Hatch

ziemerd

I drew 2 enclosed objects and one hatches with no problem but the other tells me no valid boundary found. I redrew it to make sure all lines connect and the area is completely enclosed but I got the same error.

Any ideas of how I can remedy this problem?

Thanks

Dawn

are the objects polylines or lines?

Have you tried the command bpoly? click inside the object and it will create a boudary of the area. you could then hatch that

As for why this is happening unfortunately I can't say without seeing the drawing. Is there anything else in the drawing other than the 2 objects mentioned? are all the z values for the objects 0?

They are all lines and not polylines. I was able to hatch the other object drawn with lines so I don't understand the difference.

Are all the z values for the objects 0? I'm not sure what that means or how to do that so I can't say.

I always encounter this problem when I zoom in on part of the object I want to hatch. By any chance, are you zooming in on part of the object? If so, then zoom out of the object until the entire object can be viewed that you're try to hatch.

Sometimes AutoCAD does this to me also, you think you have a closed space to hatch in but you get that error message.

I usually draw ALL my lines as pollylines that way I can just connect them or close them in order to get a vaild boundary for my hatching.

I think the error message you get in this situation, means that two or more points of your lines are not aligned properly.

What I did was draw the lines with square corners and used OSNAP to be sure they were all connected. Then I used the fillet command to round the corners. I even redrew it that way but maybe I need to use polylines.

Okay, I was able to hatch the object by selecting "Add Selected Objects" & by selecting the entire border around the object

I've redrawn my object with polylines and then used the fillet command to round the corners. All the corners round just fine until I get to the last corner I get an *Invalid*. I used OSNAP to make sure I connected all lines.

Thanks.

Dawn

"Add selected objects" worked...thank you. I never really understood what that option was all about so now I do...thanks.

yes because when you use the fillet command with polylines they automatically connect those smaller polylines into one larger polyline, so at the last corner you with to fillet, technically you are filleting to components of the same polyline which AutoCAD doesn't usually let you do.

Regardless, I'm glad it worked out for you.

Graham

Your boundries are not closed.

Convert the boundrie lines to poly line, Modify>Object>polyline>enter

>select object (choose one line on the boundry) you will be prompted "change object to polyline? Y? press enter. The polyline menue will appear, select "Join" press enter. Then select objects to join, select all objects that make up the border and press "enter" and enter agin to close the command. You now have made a boundry that is hatchable.

Move your text out of the boundry area then apply your hatch. Move the text back into the proper alignment.

You will have to do this for each Hatch area.

The problem is in the area of the radius you have in the boundries. They do not line up exactly.

To avoid this you can draw the boundry corners square and apply a radius to the corners with the radius command.

Hope this helps

C

I see that I was late. Sorry

Ok...I'm losing my mind. I used the Add select objects and it worked. Or so I thought. I went on to work elsewhere in the same drawing and when I looked at what I had hatched, it switched to filling in the circles and unhatching the rest of the area. What the hey? I hatched the area and had it so the circles were unhatched and it worked. Then it switched it!!!

Would using polylines keep it from doing this?

Ok...I'm converting my lines to polylines using the directions Car5858 posted and it's asking me to enter an option. Do I want "Close" or do I want "Join"?