sharing files between computers not on a server!!! help!!

sonnyamorales

posted this in the manangement forum but no response yet so figured Id try here.

I have just started doing some freelance work for my old employer and have some questions when it comes to sharing the files.

What is the best way to share dwg files so taht stuff doesnt get messed up?

The designer says taht civil3D now uses something call dat references, this is new to me since ive been out the game for a couple years, how do you send those files? are they within the drawing?

Basically here is my problem, the designer does all the design, plan and profile, than he sends to me to put in the notes for the plan views, not knowing if when I save the file it will mess up his profile, he jsut copy pasted the notes I put in into his original file, as oppose to jsut overriding it. So in essence we are doing double work..

another thing, he sent me the proposed base file, and when I got it I got big text saying that there is a broken reference. I went ahead and made some changes and sent back to him thinking it would go away cause it will find the reference on his computer, but it didnt. And than he said that the drawing I sent him didnt have any settings under "toolspace" like his original did.

So need some help on how to share the files.... if you need more eplanation let me know and I will do my best.

sharing files between computers not on a server!!! help!!

What is the current arrangement for sending/receiving files to work on?

Sorry for double posting...

Currently he just sends me all his basefiles, in which I put in a directory on my comp that is named the same on his. But he doesnt send me the data references (are those already in the files?)

The same goes for the construction documents, than I do my adjusments on them and email them back to him, were he in turns just copies and paste the info into his original drawings, as oppose to over riding his files, since we are uncertain if something will mess up, which it seems it does.

Do we need to have the exact same sutocad settings for things to not get messed up?

you guys are playing with fire if you ask me, if your going to take a file home, take it home! don't leave a copy behind for him to mess with at all. It doesn't sound like he's xref'd things properly either if its not finding the reference on the machine it was reference from, and I'm not sure what your refereing to as "toolspace"

When you send your whole work to another person, you should use the _ETRANSMIT command, without missing anything.

The second person opens your .DWG as XREF, then he adds a new layer with own info, annotations and so on.

Finally he makes a _WBLOCK of that new layer, sending go back to you.

If you have confidential issues, forget the DWG sharing, and definetely share PDF, annotating them in Adobe Reader.

smile.gif

When you send your whole work to another person, you should use the _ETRANSMIT command, without missing anything.

The second person opens your .DWG as XREF, then he adds a new layer with own info, annotations and so on.

Finally he makes a _WBLOCK of that new layer, sending go back to you.

If you have confidential issues, forget the DWG sharing, and definetely share PDF, annotating them in Adobe Reader.

smile.gif

So your saying after he sends it to me via etransmit, I open a DWG and than xref that file in? than after I am done making my changes I Wblock what I did and etransmit the whole file back to him?

there is no confidential issues, just want to make sure my computer is seeing everything that he sees on his..

f700es I am not familiar with dropbox, you have a link that describes this more?

my wife uses it all the time and swears by it, but i don't actually use it myself that much, though the little i have has been pretty straight forward.

My biggest issue/concern is making sure that we are seeing the sxact same things on the computer, as far as sxrefs and data and all that. Will look into this and see how it works, thanks.

Any other ideas?

so just make sure that he uploads all the project files? basesheets, construction docs, profiles, etc???