Layer Appearance / View - Can i dock it like Adobe Fireworks?

39 Cent Stamp

Today is the first time i have ever opened AutoCAD so forgive my ignorance.

I am watching "AutoCAD Essentials Training" @ lynda. I skipped ahead to layers because i have a drawing that has many layers in it and i wanted to try and understand them.

I am familiar with Adobe Fireworks and the way in which layers are handled. The panel is open/fixed. A screen shot of fireworks is attached.

2 part question...

#1. How do i open/fix or dock the layers panel in AutoCAD so that it looks like the layers panel in Fireworks?

#2. Can i organize layers the way i can in Fireworks so that i can expand and collapse layers?

I have been thru the first 10 or so videos explaining the layout/tools of AutoCAD but the instructors layout is slightly different than mine so its difficult to follow his instructions. Its like "click here and you can find how to magically make your life so much easier". But the HERE isn't visible by default so i can't unlock the magical goodness :).

Thanks.

fw_layers.png

I discovered the answer to question #1. I found the icon (top left icon above the home/layers section) that opened the layers panel and i docked it. I still would like to know if i can organize (into collapsible categories) items on a specific layer in the same way in which i can do it with Fireworks.

Thanks.

You can create filters based on something common in the name, as an example, and you can create groups where you name it and then drag and drop any random names of layers into that filter group. See the icons above and to the left of the layer names.

Autodesk didn't integrate the tool palette layer manger very well so you may see a very slow AutoCAD all of the sudden. Especially when working in a layout and through a viewport. If so you will have to close the layer manager and open it up again when you need it.