Autodesk maintenance plan going away - only subscription in the future

rkent

Who knows, but I think what most people would be happy with, is a choice.
Definitely a key point here. I'm a man who believes in the freedom to choose. Buying outright, or renting would be the right move on Autodesk's part. Rental/subscription works for me, but may not work for others. In life, the reality is in all cases for all scenarios is that there's no ultimate solution to anything - only trade-offs.

So, RK, what is your perspective on this, personally? Are you for, or against, or neutral?

-TZ

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• f700es

• tzframpton

• ReMark

• rkmcswain

So, RK, what is your perspective on this, personally? Are you for, or against, or neutral?

I just want a choice.

Rental was more expensive than perpetual, but I'm sure the recent perpetual maintenance increases will bring them more in line.

I suspect in a few years, we will just pay a flat price, whatever that is, and have access to all products. (think of the progression from single products, to suites, to the now 'collections')

They will say that is what their customers want, but in reality, many of us will be paying for products we never use.

Again, no choice.

I work in a big firm. Personally i think the rental business model might help make the autodesk 'software pool' could make things more flexible. HOwever, Some of the software i potentially think is intresting still is unreachable because the cost more 'credits' (ticks) a day. I have doubts these sofwtare verticals will ever be reachable, or .. The same in 'hyrachy'

Bumbt into this official trailer. I see autodesk Very much wanting to get yours data *EDIT: on Autodesk servers* while you will moved onto subscription..

Edited by halam

I see autodesk Very much wanting to get yours data into the bim 360 as you will more to subscription.
In certain industries, definitely. I've already seen some strategic moves. For instance, the iPad BIM 360 Glue app used to (as a free app) allow opening up all types of files such as NWD or DWFx which was great as you could essentially have a full model at your fingertips, with tools such as measuring distances, hiding things on/off, saved Viewpoints and have a slew of information via Properties. In recent updates, now BIM 360 Glue is locked out unless you have access to the full BIM 360 administrative services - which from what I hear comes with a hefty price tag to own a BIM 360 service. A360 iPad app gives you the same type of flow and interface as BIM 360 Glue, but no measuring tools, no Viewpoints, no extra visual control or properties data. It's kind of like the "freemium to premium" incentive model. Give the user just enough in the free version, but keep the really good stuff you know they need in the purchased version. Also I've been notified via email that the Revit C4R BIM 360 Team will require a full C4R license gain access to a BIM 360 Team environment - no more invite access as a viewer anymore at all. This will be taking effect here in a few months.

-TZ

Meaning what?

I think that he is NOT happy about that. Then the definition of 'your' data starts to fade and becomes more 'shared' data with AutoDesk.

I don't know. Not a big fan about that myself. Situation: I decide to stop using AD products and all my data in on their cloud. Can I get it back and retain the only copies?

The privacy standpoint is a bit moot if you consider that we all have the internet, probably pay bills or buy things online, and the biggest one of all - the smart phone. The smart phone traces everything about us. If we allow Google or Apple to have access to our very personal daily travels, purchases, personal conversations and texts and emails, then our company's projects on the cloud shouldn't be much at all to worry about.

Devil's advocate side of things, anyways. :twisted:

-TZ

True but sometimes the data/projects we work on belong to a 3rd party. For example: If you sign a contract to due design work for Krispy Kreme, you can believe that ALL ownership falls back to them. A firm can either agree to this or not get the job. Simple as that. Been there, done that. ;)

Sure you can get it back. ..

Probably the easy part is to stop any subscription,.. but are sure you will be able to get all your (online shared) data back the right way at the right time?

The real strength of this business model runs on two pilars: flexible licences & ACCESS TO DATA.

It all depends are who you work for and what you do. Heck, we have a recent addition to this forum who claims to be using release 14 which if I recall correctly came out in 1997. That's twenty years of not spending one more dime than he had to. Certainly must stick in AutoDesk's craw. LOL

Wow! That's crazy. I can see some old timer doing that. No offense to anyone out there. I grew up in the country, old timer is referred to as, umm, sort of messing around I guess you could say. Oh! Meant as playful banter. I wonder if he goes by the phrase, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I know my boss if def. one guy that still wishes he had ACAD 2007 instead of the 2017 C3D package we have now. I can see where it would be great to keep software, but the way that things are progressing, do you think that they will always allow for some type of compatibility for old and new software. I guess they will always have converters to allow for this. So many different paths this could go down

The "if it ain't broke don't fix it" is definitely wise words. However, there's a difference in "fixing it" and "improving it". :)

-TZ

Touche' Tannar :beer: lol

The "if it ain't broke don't fix it" is definitely wise words. However, there's a difference in "fixing it" and "improving it". :)

-TZ

But, in my experience, they seldom have improved, just add more features, many only utilized by a select demographic (and usually a narrow one) and at the expense of leaving many complaints/bugs unresolved, some that I know of go back to R14.

I must say in looking over AutoCAD 2017, they do appear to be adding more useful functions, but yet again, I see the same old glitches unaddressed.

I may try to switch where I work, or least my seat to BricsCAD, Solidworks or another alternative.

I may try to switch where I work, or least my seat to BricsCAD, Solidworks or another alternative.
If I were in a position (like manufacturing) to pick up SolidWorks I definitely would. I have seen some of your older 3D work and it's very good. Solidworks should come easy for you.

-TZ