Component problems

marvinrb1

I am a Revit newbie so this may be simple to fix. I am using a student version of Revit and started having trouble placing items from families. I was placing detail items into a structural detail and I can place the first item but when I try to place another item, even from the same family, it keeps the previous item active.

I'm not sure I'm following exactly but it seems like the Place Component tool is still active. Revit is weird in the sense that Escape will cancel an active tool or command, but it also is the way you complete a command. So, "Escape Twice" is the rule of thumb to fully complete a tool or command. Once you place a Family it stays active until you cancel (Escape) twice. Or, right-click, Cancel twice.

-TZ

Yeah, escape twice I learned to do real fast. My problem is that if I go to pick a second component, Revit doesn't make the new component active but keeps the old component active.

When placing the "second component", to sort of "reset" the last component used, try to select the new one you placed, and type CS (aka Create Similar tool). Now try and place a Family via the Component tool again.

Does this solve your issue?

I'm having a hard time understanding precisely what issue you're having due to your descriptions. For instance, I don't know what you mean exactly when you mention "pick a second component". Second from what? What is a first component and what is a second component? So my guess is that you're simply clicking the Component icon and it's default to the first one you used every time, is that right?