+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Using
    AutoCAD 2012

Default Slow startup of autocad 2012 and 2017

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

I have i3 processor, 8GB Ram, NVIDI GT730 graphics card. I am running Autocad 2012 , 64 bit. Recently autocad started taking upto 4 minutes to start up. Feeling frustrated, I installed trial of autocad 2017. Unfortunately the problem persists in 2017 as well. I am running updated windows 10 and my graphics card driver is also up to date. What must I do to solve this problem?

Computer Details
    ReMark's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    Intel DX58SO2 LGA1366 X58
    CPU:
    Intel i7-960 Quad-core 3.20GHz 8MB cache
    RAM:
    12GB (3x4GB) PC3-106000 DDR3
    Graphics:
    nVidia Quadro K4200, 4GB GDDR5
    Primary Storage:
    150GB Velocipraptor 10,000 rpm
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Dell P24LLH - 24" wide screen LCD
    Discipline
    See details...
    ReMark's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    CAD Draftsman/Designer...chemical manufacturing.
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

There can be a number of different causes. Sometimes it's a Windows' update or it could be an overly aggressive anti-virus program that for unknown reasons targets AutoCAD .dll files.

When did the problem first occur? What changed?

Did you try disabling your anti-virus program?
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

Eat brains...gain more knowledge!

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.

Using
    AutoCAD 2012

Quote Originally Posted by ReMark View Post
    There can be a number of different causes. Sometimes it's a Windows' update or it could be an overly aggressive anti-virus program that for unknown reasons targets AutoCAD .dll files.

When did the problem first occur? What changed?

Did you try disabling your anti-virus program?
    The problem occurred a week ago. I tried disabling my anti-virus program. Nothing happens. I did not change anything recently. Neither my brother who also uses my PC. I did not install any new software on my system in the last couple of months.

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    CPU:
    RAM:
    Graphics:
    Primary Storage:
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Discipline
    See details...
    Occupation
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Do you have a Windows restore point that predates the point at which the problem occurred? You could try rolling back your system.

Another option would be to run a REPAIR of the installation. Maybe a file got corrupted. A REPAIR is NOT the same as an uninstall/reinstall. It is however the least disruptive as it will only repair/replace AutoCAD specific files (not your drawing files).
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.

Using
    AutoCAD 2012

Do you have a Windows restore point that predates the point at which the problem occurred? You could try rolling back your system.
    I don't have a windows restore point. I regularly delete in order to save hard disk space.

Another option would be to run a REPAIR of the installation. Maybe a file got corrupted. A REPAIR is NOT the same as an uninstall/reinstall. It is however the least disruptive as it will only repair/replace AutoCAD specific files (not your drawing files).
    That sounds unusual. Had a corrupt installation been the case, a fresh, virgin installation of Autocad 2017 would have not caused the same problem as being faced with 2012. I installed 2017 for the first time in my life on my system.

ReMark. You're really an amazing guy. Your terminator avatar is the only thing that I remember from this forum. I wonder why you've got an evil machine as your avatar. Hehehehe

Your active participation and helpful attitude is really, really, really, really, really awesome. I am really thankful for your help and tips you've given me in the past.

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    CPU:
    RAM:
    Graphics:
    Primary Storage:
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Discipline
    See details...
    Occupation
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

I agree with your assessment regarding the REPAIR option and Acad 2017 but figured what's the harm of running the REPAIR option. File corruption during an installation is probably not very common but there is always a chance that it could happen (bad sector?).

Thank you for your kind words.

Using
    AutoCAD 2012

I repaired my installation of Autocad. The problem is still there. What should I do now?

Using
    AutoCAD 2013
    At the confluence of worthlessness & invaluability

As I use Autocad 2013, and have scrupulously avoided Windows 10 desire to take over my computer, I am rather out of the loop on this particular story line.
    I thought that Windows 10 was only compatible with later versions of Autocad? Not talking about product support, but actual operation?

Are you only having problems with Autocad?

Maybe you should try using the MANUSOFT freeware to disable the voluminous and crippling exchange of information with Autodesk?

In OPTIONS on the SYSTEM tab, you may want to uncheck ACCESS ONLINE CONTENT too.
    Do you use AUTOCAD 360? I don't, just thinking out loud.

Here's the link http://www.manusoft.com/software/freebies/misc.html The infocenter killer is the one of which I spoke.
    Volume and repetition do not validate opinions forged in the absence of thought.

Using
    AutoCAD 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Dadgad View Post
    I thought that Windows 10 was only compatible with later versions of Autocad? Not talking about product support, but actual operation?

I tried repair of both autocad 2017 and 2012 but the problem is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dadgad View Post
    Maybe you should try using the MANUSOFT freeware to disable the voluminous and crippling exchange of information with Autodesk?

In OPTIONS on the SYSTEM tab, you may want to uncheck ACCESS ONLINE CONTENT too.
    Do you use AUTOCAD 360? I don't, just thinking out loud.

Here's the link http://www.manusoft.com/software/freebies/misc.html The infocenter killer is the one of which I spoke.

I don't have AutoCAD 360. Thanks for this freeware. I'll check it out and reply back soon.

Computer Details
    SLW210's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 PRO 64-bit
    Computer:
    IBM Lenovo
    Motherboard:
    ACPI x64
    CPU:
    Pentium(R) i5 4570 @ 3.2GHz
    RAM:
    8 GB RAM
    Graphics:
    Nvidia Quadro 600 1GB
    Primary Storage:
    300 GB
    Secondary Storage:
    650GB
    Monitor:
    2x ThinkVision 24"
    Discipline
    Multi-disciplinary
    SLW210's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Design Draftsman
    Discipline
    Multi-disciplinary
    Details
    Mostly do drafting related to manufacturing. From doing site layouts with proposed updates, additions and renovations to be budgeted and submitted for bid, to updating and changing existing drawings to reflect maintenance and repair/revision work done on site.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2011

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Disconnect your computer from any networks (including the Internet) and see if it works as it used to or gives any "Not Found" messages, etc..
    “A narrow mind and a fat head invariably come on the same person” Zig Zigler