Put mass selected integers in ascending order starting from a given integer

tsotzo

Hello,

Let's say we have a group of integers as text in dwg.

How would we put them in in ascending order by one(+1) starting from a given integer?

Let me give an example to make it clear. Let's say we have the texts 1 2 5 5 5 8 9 11 11 15 and the given start integer is 6. We select them all together and the range in selection set is random. Let's say 5 2 8 15 1 5 5 11 9 11.

Now, we want to put them in ascending order by one starting from number 6 replacing the "old" range with the new. In the end we must have this:

6 7 8 8 8 9 10 11 11 12.

That is 6(in place of 1), 7(in place of 2), 8(5), 8(5), 8(5), 9(8), 10(9), 11(11), 11(11), 12(15). I hope it is clear.

How would we do that in an efficient way?

Thank you in advance,

Kostas

Consider the following code:

(defun renumberlist ( num lst )
   (setq lst (vl-sort lst '(lambda ( a b ) (< (atoi a) (atoi b))))
         num (1- num)
   )
   (mapcar '(lambda ( a b ) (if (= a b) (itoa num) (itoa (setq num (1+ num))))) (cons nil lst) lst)
)

Example:

_$ (renumberlist 6 '("5" "2" "8" "15" "1" "5" "5" "11" "9" "11"))
("6" "7" "8" "8" "8" "9" "10" "11" "11" "12")

Thank you Lee Mac! I will try to import your code to my routine. If I don't manage, I will come back to you. (It's very possible because your coding is in much higher level than mine). Thanks!

Its impressive how fast you understand peoples tasks/problems. :thumbsup:

Thank you Lee Mac! I will try to import your code to my routine. If I don't manage, I will come back to you. (It's very possible because your coding is in much higher level than mine). Thanks!

You're welcome tsotzo. My code demonstrates one possible method of ordering & renumbering a set of text values, however, assuming you are looking to then modify the text content, you will need to retain the entity name of the text object during the sorting & renumbering process - I'm happy to demonstrate this if you get stuck.

Just for fun, here's a recursive function accepting a sorted list to produce the same result:

(defun renum ( num lst )
   (if lst (cons (itoa num) (renum (if (= (car lst) (cadr lst)) num (1+ num)) (cdr lst))))
)

Example:

_$ (renum 6 (vl-sort '("5" "2" "8" "15" "1" "5" "5" "11" "9" "11") '(lambda ( a b ) (< (atoi a) (atoi b)))))
("6" "7" "8" "8" "8" "9" "10" "11" "11" "12")

OK, I couldn't resist :D

([color=BLUE]defun[/color] c:renum ( [color=BLUE]/[/color] a b i l n s x y z )
   ([color=BLUE]initget[/color] 4)
   ([color=BLUE]setq[/color] n ([color=BLUE]1-[/color] ([color=BLUE]cond[/color] (([color=BLUE]getint[/color] [color=MAROON]"\nSpecify starting number <1>: "[/color])) (1))))
   ([color=BLUE]if[/color] ([color=BLUE]setq[/color] s ([color=BLUE]ssget[/color] [color=MAROON]"_:L"[/color] '((0 . [color=MAROON]"TEXT"[/color]) (1 . [color=MAROON]"~*[~0-9]*"[/color]))))
       ([color=BLUE]progn[/color]
           ([color=BLUE]repeat[/color] ([color=BLUE]setq[/color] i ([color=BLUE]sslength[/color] s))
               ([color=BLUE]setq[/color] x ([color=BLUE]entget[/color] ([color=BLUE]ssname[/color] s ([color=BLUE]setq[/color] i ([color=BLUE]1-[/color] i))))
                     a ([color=BLUE]cons[/color] ([color=BLUE]assoc[/color] -1 x) a)
                     b ([color=BLUE]cons[/color] ([color=BLUE]atoi[/color] ([color=BLUE]cdr[/color] ([color=BLUE]assoc[/color] 1 x))) b)
               )
           )
           ([color=BLUE]setq[/color] i ([color=BLUE]vl-sort-i[/color] b '[color=BLUE]<[/color])
                 l ([color=BLUE]mapcar[/color] '([color=BLUE]lambda[/color] ( n ) ([color=BLUE]nth[/color] n b)) i)
           )
           ([color=BLUE]mapcar[/color] '([color=BLUE]lambda[/color] ( x y z ) ([color=BLUE]entmod[/color] ([color=BLUE]list[/color] ([color=BLUE]nth[/color] z a) ([color=BLUE]cons[/color] 1 ([color=BLUE]itoa[/color] ([color=BLUE]if[/color] ([color=BLUE]=[/color] x y) n ([color=BLUE]setq[/color] n ([color=BLUE]1+[/color] n)))))))) ([color=BLUE]cons[/color] [color=BLUE]nil[/color] l) l i)
       )
   )
   ([color=BLUE]princ[/color])
)

:lol: & :o & :D. Lee Mac, when I first read your message I laughed with my heart and then... wow... I have no words...! You are unbelievable! You know, I had written more than double of code lines than you, and I wasn't even in the middle! What can I say... Thanks man!! :notworthy: You know, what's impressive is not only that you solve the problem, but the way that you do it (and the speed of course ;)). Thanks again!

:lol: & :o & :D. Lee Mac, when I first read your message I laughed with my heart and then... wow... I have no words...! You are unbelievable! You know, I had written more than double of code lines than you, and I wasn't even in the middle! What can I say... Thanks man!! :notworthy: You know, what's impressive is not only that you solve the problem, but the way that you do it (and the speed of course ;)). Thanks again!

Thank you for your kind words & compliments, you're most welcome.

This was an enjoyable program to write, and so after pointing you in the right direction, I couldn't resist coding a solution o:)

I welcome you to continue with your attempt - there is often more than one way to solve the problem, and nothing is more valuable in programming than practice! :)