Can't draw line or polyline in model space.

bpls

Can't draw line or polyline in model space but can in paper space. It will draw arcs, circles, etc. I have tried both highlight and dragmode to no avail and yes everything is thawed and on and I have tried different layers. Things also disappear when moved or rotated. Need HELP!!!

Welcome to CADTutor bpls. :)

That is an interesting problem you are experiencing, albeit supremely annoying.

How are you accessing Modelspace?

Check your SPACESWITCH variable.

If you find it is set to 0, a knowledgable and mischievious coworker is likely messing with your mind, as it should be set to 1. :|

Having reread your post, are you saying that only LINES & POLYLINES are affected in Modelspace?

If so, that is even weirder still?

If that is the case, it won't be because of your SPACESWITCH variable.

Among things that I would be checking is the setting of SNAPMODE and SNAPUNIT and LIMITS.

You have tried to zoom extents to see if there are any lines somewhere?

Welcome to CADTutor bpls. :)

That is an interesting problem you are experiencing, albeit supremely annoying.

How are you accessing Modelspace?

Check your SPACESWITCH variable.

If you find it is set to 0, a knowledgable and mischievious coworker is likely messing with your mind, as it should be set to 1. :|

Having reread your post, are you saying that only LINES & POLYLINES are affected in Modelspace?

If so, that is even weirder still?

If that is the case, it won't be because of your SPACESWITCH variable.

Tried that but didn't work either!!

Tried that to no avail.....the strange thing is I could draw lines and polylines earlier in the day with no problem in the same drawing....it's also strange no other drawing is affected.

Still haven't seen this before but did discover that if I zoom WAAAY out I can draw a line or polyline but then it is offset from where I even tried to draw it.....and ideas?

Since this is the only drawing you seem to be having a problem with I would suggest you close it, delete the file altogether then start a new drawing. Simple.

Still haven't seen this before but did discover that if I zoom WAAAY out I can draw a line or polyline but then it is offset from where I even tried to draw it.....and ideas?

Yes. Attach a copy of this malfunctioning drawing to your next post so we can have a look at it for ourselves. A dwg file is being requested not an image file. One drawing file is worth a thousand words (and then some).

Cadtutor says it's too large to upload.....I've had other cad professionals open in their software and they don't have any problems with it.

Upload it to a file sharing website like DropBox and post a link t it here.

If other cad professionals have opened it and have had no problem with the drawing then it is either your system or you. So, what do you have for a system and how much AutoCAD experience do you have?

I've been using acad since r12 but I'm not what you would call an expert by any means although I've never had this problem before and have always been able to figure out any issues. I'm using oem autocad 2013.

I know it has to be a setting in my system since three other cad professionals have had no problems with the file. Thanks.

A setting? As in a system variable?

Then I suspect you will be printing out all your system variable settings and comparing those to a cad workstation where the problem is not exhibited. Is that correct?

• 3 years later...
  • 11 months later...

I installed AutoCad on a new PC. When I try to draw anything like a like, the line appears and when I click to finish, it disappears behind a black in model space. Could anyone help please