Novice in need of help

reggy

I am using solidworks 2010 at home and I am fairly used to where everything is located. I have just recently changed jobs and the c ompany I work for uses version 2015, and I of course need to learn it's interface. I am right clicking to obtain a drop down window that gives me the option to rotate the view, but when I am in the assembly mode and I need to rotate the parts to select the faces to mate it does not

work at all with the right click. Isn't there an icon to select the rotate option anywhere? What other ways can I get the rotate view option?

Reginald Wheatman

Reggy, there are tons of ways to customize SW to work for you. Solidworks puts the view in several places. You can use the middle mouse button to rotate the model. Shift+ middle mouse button will zoom(so will the scroll wheel). CTRL+Middle Mouse Button will Pan. ALT + MMB will rotate left/right on screen. Those are the most common methods to rotate the model.

Solidworks also has a "Heads Up" View manager located at the top-center of the modeling window. there is a View Orientation drop down.

When you right click you want to select "View Orientation" to get to the views.

You can customize keys on the keyboard to do whatever you want as well. i used to use the space bar for 3d orbit before i had a 3d mouse. After 2010 Solidworks also threw in something called "Mouse Gestures" which activate when you hold down the right mouse button and move the cursor. If you right-click on an open spot on one of your tabs(like the Sketch tab) and select "Customize" you can turn on Mouse Gestures as well as customize every aspect of Solidworks. If you really wanted to you could throw some view features onto the "S" key shortcut bar.

I have a free video( have to be registered on my site but that is free as well and i never send out any emails) about User Interface customization. I don't specifically talk about rotating the model but hopefully the info above gets you going.

https://www.solidbox.tv/course/solidworks-ui-customization/