set layout scale taking long time...

samifox

hi

using acad 2010,

sometimes changhing the layout scale taking forever,

why is that? is there anithing i can do?

THanks

S

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• samifox

• ReMark

• SLW210

• BIGAL

Top Posters In This Topic

You seem to have an unusual amount of problems using AutoCAD. Why is that? I'm willing to bet I've used AutoCAD far longer than you have yet I can count the number of problems I have had on the fingers of one hand. Do you consistently experience problems during the installation of your software? Is that the root cause of the problems or is it something else like working with a large number of drawings that were originally created by someone outside of your office? A client or a subcontractor?

ReMark you have a big mouth...hhhh

ok if that is your style i can live with that

the computer im working on is far of the ideal one while using giant drawings

i clear appid and unused scale with no improvement

anyway. If you have nothing smart to say you better shut your mouth

let serious people to help others

So you are attributing the problems to under-performing computers. OK. Then you obviously know what some of the suggestions we might come up with would be, right? Such as:

Check memory usage

Check CPU usage

Defrag the hard drive

Disable background programs

Run a virus scan with at least two different anti-virus program

Check for malware

Install AutoCAD updates & hot fixes

Change your paging file settings

Add more RAM

Upgrade your graphics card or switch to a graphics card if currently running off of an onboard graphics chip

Is it possible that the current problem you are experiencing is somehow related to the drawing itself and not necessarily a problem with your computer or AutoCAD?

Can you attach a copy of the problematic drawing to your next post? Someone here can independently test it.

What OS are you running by the way?

Have you looked into using ReadyBoost?

Edited by ReMark

I don't blame you for the quality of the computer; that responsibility rests solely on the shoulders of the company you work for.

What is included in the zip file? How would you like me to test?

Are you working on a network?

Maybe you should test these on the local drive and see if the problem still exists.

I have sorted a few sluggish items by unplugging from the network, if AutoCAD is searching for something I will often get a message telling me what it is searching for.

Go on the internet and research methods for speeding up a computer and for speeding up AutoCAD.

What are your computer specifications? What Operating System are you using? What Graphics Card and Driver?

You are not giving us much to work with in solving your problems.

I'd like to try to duplicate what you have done exactly. So, tell me which scale you would like me to use when I make the change.

Is there anything else I should test while I am at it?

You provided several drawings. Which one should I open?

I noticed that xrefs were used. Could the problem have anything to do with the location of the xrefs?

I currently have 6043-01-Landscape_03.dwg open. There are seven tabs and it looks like you used the following viewport scales: 1:1, 2:1 and 4:1. If I unlock the display of any of the layouts and change the scale I experience no delays. My current company workstation can not be considered top-of-the-line since it has been in use a full five years (see Computer Details under my avatar for specs). How does your computer compare to mine?

im not using network

since im working the first half of the day in office, and the other half in the house, i use Dropbox on C , than when the project ends i'm syncing it back to the network.

i also check the LookAt and Save Path of the xref, none of them look for resource on the network.

what im doing

opening layout2, set the scale to a fix scale, set 1:1, than autocad freeze for long time. at home, the i can set the scale, and autocad responds, but after it finish zooming, autocad freezes for long time.

my pc spec

at office we have i3, 8 RAM, gta630 as display card.

at home im using Z210 workstation, double Xeon i5,Quadro K600, 16 gigs of RAM.

as a general note, when working on the network, im taking into account how the speed is affected, but in this case, when i work locally, i wonder whats going on.

thanks

S

See if your virus software scans EVERY file, EVERY time AutoCad accesses it? For instance, I can set Mcaffee to not look at anything AutoCad touches.

:lol: (Just think of Remark as Sheldon Cooper) :lol: (TV show reference) Where's the 'runformylife' emoticon?

Freezing for a long time can be a linetype problem do you have any custom linetypes ? Check if the .lin is on both boxes is the same.

I have all my write something temporary files etc set to my c: wether that would be at home or at work both have same settings writing the Bak sv$ etc to network may be slowing you down.

See if your virus software scans EVERY file, EVERY time AutoCad accesses it? For instance, I can set Mcaffee to not look at anything AutoCad touches.

i don't have anti-virus in home. ill give it a try in work

Freezing for a long time can be a linetype problem do you have any custom linetypes ? Check if the .lin is on both boxes is the same.

I have all my write something temporary files etc set to my c: wether that would be at home or at work both have same settings writing the Bak sv$ etc to network may be slowing you down.

linetypes sound like a reasonable factor. what should i do? what boxes do you mean?

all my settings are mapped to my local dropbox, none is sitting on the network.