Automatic dimensions and bills of material for piping components

mechaniker

Hi

Is there a way to choose a piping class based on ASME B16.5, then a component and its size, and let AutoCad automatically show their dimensions in the isometric drawing and create a bill of materials?

Thanks a lot

Edited by mechaniker

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mechaniker

• ReMark

• Dana W

• TheCADnoob

Hi

Is there a way to choose a piping class, then a component and its size, and let AutoCad automatically show its dimensions and add it to the bill of materials?

Thanks a lot

Are you using vanilla AutoCAD or are you using a vertical like Plant3D?

Are you using vanilla AutoCAD or are you using a vertical like Plant3D?

Vanilla? Do you mean basic Autocad? yes

This is starting to look a lot like a certain

While I was waiting for answers, I found some products and posted them. I am not sure they have what I want.

I don't know about the auto-dimensioning aspect but I'm pretty sure AutoCAD Plant 3D can provide piping classes and a bill of materials. Maybe you're using the wrong program (i.e. - basic, plain, generic, vanilla AutoCAD)?

I don't know about the auto-dimensioning aspect but I'm pretty sure AutoCAD Plant 3D can provide piping classes and a bill of materials. Maybe you're using the wrong program (i.e. - basic, plain, generic, vanilla AutoCAD)?

OK, I found out that Autocad plant 3D has piping catalogs in their youtube videos.

We only use vanilla, but should really consider upgrading.

OK, will do. Thx

ProSteel is not specifically for piping, but it includes a huge (as in globally encompassing) library of pipes, spits out the drawings which are already dimensioned and include BOM.

That is the one we use, but I recall seeing a similar one on Autodesk, or Youtube, which uses components licensed from Bentley and it does all the same stuff.

I wish we were using that one instead of the Bentley version, to be honest. :|

Here is that link....

http://www.autodesk.com/products/advance-steel/overview

Click on the short video on that link to see what it can do.

As accustomed as I am to working with Autocad, I find much of the logic in Bentley to be rather counter-intuitive.

ProSteel is not specifically for piping, but it includes a huge (as in globally encompassing) library of pipes, spits out the drawings which are already dimensioned and include BOM.

That is the one we use, but I recall seeing a similar one on Autodesk, or Youtube, which uses components licensed from Bentley and it does all the same stuff.

I wish we were using that one instead of the Bentley version, to be honest. :|

OK, will check it.

While I was waiting for answers, I found some products and posted them. I am not sure they have what I want.
Well if you're legit, you're legit, mea culpa, but "Is there a way to do this in AutoCad?" Then posting one or more links that "Looks like this software can do it, try it." Is the typical behavior of those that come here seeking free advertising.

Hope you laughed at the video. It's one of my favorites.

Back to the topic, Vanilla AutoCad can do BIM & BOM, but it takes a herculean effort on the part of the user, since they must build ALL of it in themselves with blocks filled with attributes, data links, tables, and a couple magic beans, mirrors, and some pretty purplish smoke.;)

Well if you're legit, you're legit, mea culpa, but "Is there a way to do this in AutoCad?" Then posting one or more links that "Looks like this software can do it, try it." Is the typical behavior of those that come here seeking free advertising.

Hope you laughed at the video. It's one of my favorites.

Back to the topic, Vanilla AutoCad can do BIM & BOM, but it takes a herculean effort on the part of the user, since they must build ALL of it in themselves with blocks filled with attributes, data links, tables, and a couple magic beans, mirrors, and some pretty purplish smoke.;)

It is OK, I know it looked funny that I posted answers to my own questions. The video was great.

Instead of doing a lot of effort in vanilla, we can upgrade to plant 3D or buy an add-on.