Install Vertical without plain Autocad

therock005

On a system that does not have plain Autocad or any CAD platform at all, can you install directly a vertical Product?

And if so, how can you load a plain Autocad Interface when a simple drawing setup is required in order to save time and have basic CAD ribbons and fucntionality

Your profile says you are using AutoCAD 2007. Your thread suggests the possibility of an AutoCAD vertical program but you fail to mention which one.

With a vertical product users can boot either to the vertical profile or the AutoCAD profile. You can access both profiles simply by having two desktop icons each with a specific path that defines what product should be opened. To open the AutoCAD product the path would look something like this:

"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD \acad.exe" /ld "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD \AecBase.dbx" /p "AutoCAD"

To open the AutoCAD vertical product the path would look something like this:

"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD \acad.exe" /ld "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD \AecBase.dbx" /p "AutoCAD "

Dont my mind my profile info. I'm talking about a scenario on a machine that has no CAD environment installed. Does it still required that Autocad is Installed first or can it do without

Lets say its Map3D or Civil 3d that is required on a machine without Autocad. Do i need to first install Autocad then Civil or Map, or can i go ahead and install the verticals without having Vanilla AutoCAD?

I don't know as it's been a while since I installed a vertical product (AutoCAD Electrical). I would think not however.

You could install your vertical product then set the profile from Options > Profiles and make your preferred profile current.

Edited by ReMark

Dont my mind my profile info. I'm talking about a scenario on a machine that has no CAD environment installed. Does it still required that Autocad is Installed first or can it do without

Lets say its Map3D or Civil 3d that is required on a machine without Autocad. Do i need to first install Autocad then Civil or Map, or can i go ahead and install the verticals without having Vanilla AutoCAD?

I do not know about Map or Civil, other guys can and will chime in for that one. But for the AEC verticals (Architecture, MEP, etc) the answer is yes, you can install only the vertical without any prior installation of plain, vanilla AutoCAD. Granted, the plain, vanilla profile for AutoCAD is in fact installed, just not in the exact same directories and so forth. So vanilla AutoCAD will still technically be there and it's accessible via a Profile Switch upon the EXE shortcut that also gets installed for you if you select this option during the setup phase of the installation.

-TZ

Because the verticals run on top of the vanilla Autocad there is no need to install the vanilla Autocad. For instance with Civl3D, it runs on top of Map3D witch runs on top of Vanilla Autocad. So with one install of Civil3D you are installing 3 products so to speak.

• Like 2

As others have noted Civil3D will install AutoCAD if it's not on the machine

In a network setup there is an advantage to installing AutoCAD first using one serial and carrying out another deployment for Civil 3D. If you have a license pool with limited Civil 3D licenses, some tasks may be suited to just AutoCAD. These tasks could be carried out from the vanilla AutoCAD licence pool which will free a Civil3D license for others.

(Lmtools should cascade license. Running AutoCAD will use an AutoCAD license, Civil3D a Civil3D license)

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 4/5/2017 at 2:29 AM, Murph_map said:

Because the verticals run on top of the vanilla Autocad there is no need to install the vanilla Autocad. For instance with Civl3D, it runs on top of Map3D witch runs on top of Vanilla Autocad. So with one install of Civil3D you are installing 3 products so to speak.

Im bring this back after a while to focus on this post. If youbpurchase a civil 3d license and intall it on a machine that has no prior autocad you get Autocad+civil+map? Since mao is a subset of civil as  i understand can you load its workspace from a civil profile or are youbrewuired to purchase a map license as well in order to load thst workspace

Yes, however I haven't been keeping up with C3D or M3D in the last few version but C3D is still built on top of M3D. However when I got out of the Map and civil support there were a few Map commands that did not work because Civil 3D had better commands for doing that task. Don't ask me what ones I'm too old to recall those. 

Ive been digging a bit to see whats what. Apparently this workspace is called planning and analysis. Dont know if its lacking anything though, if its better or worse or whatever. I just hope thst by purchasing a civil3d license you do get the whole functionality of map3d or at least that nothing important is missing forcing an additional purchase of a map license

On 1/30/2021 at 11:10 AM, therock005 said:

And will this offer all of Map3d functionality as if it were installed, Are we certain of that?

Absolutely certain!

We have more people doing GIS work than CAD here. I often open Map 3D instead of Civil 3D for simple projects that don't require precise imported field data. Using GIS I can produce a drawing in an hour that would have taken a field crew a few days just to collect the data for.

Of course most of what I know about Map was from following every post I could find from Murph years ago.