Dynamic Block Chain Woes

ColinPearson

Hello World...

I have searched here, talked in person to folks and googled but I just don't understand dynamic blocks. My goal is to have the upper third of this block move by a user-typed number (with a max and min value) and I've gotthat. I also want the middle piece to move half as much as the upper piece. Note that these pieces are proprietary but the CAD blcoks are free to the public. I'm confused on teh following:

1) How to get the 1/2 value on one dim based on another

2) what is the stretch frame?

3) does it matter where you start the stretch frame and what it includes?

4) How does chaining work?

I swear I've googled but it's just not clicking. Thank y'all so much for any help you could give me... cheers!

File is literally 10.06MB so here's a link LOL https://app.box.com/s/4x3fyfui5jv5smt0fw7x1dubtmz24wrq

You have to attach a move parameter to the object you want to go 50%. Then you attach the move to the overall stretch parameter. Then you set the move dist to 50%. I'll take a look at your file when I get back to the office.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5r4434qhp238he5/turnbuckle.dwg?dl=0

Here are the steps to get to what you wanted.

1. Create 'Point Move' set and add the middle block to it. In properties set it's distance modifier to .5, grips to 0, and chaining on.

2. Create 'Linear Stretch' set for overall. Create the selection set to top half, select the top elements and the move set (do not select the middle block itself).

A couple of comments on this block.

1. The file size is way too big. I would never design a standard block to be 10mb to be inserted into my drawings. Even if you wblock just the block it ends up being 1.82mb. Still too big. But this is just my opinion...

2. Since you have designed the ends as blocks you can only stretch it so far. Once you play with the block you will see what I mean. A solution would be to keep just the end of the block as a block and the rest as linework.

3. Upon opening the drawing I noticed that you weren't in plan view. I hope that you didn't draw this off axis by accident.

Cheers.

Thanks very much, I'll see what I can get done. File size is HUGE and kills my computer. I'm not sure what to do about that as that's just how they come from the manufacturer, but it needs to be reduced for sure. As far as being "not in plan view", that's probably just some slop that crept in; I've been playing with this a ton and probably snapped to a wonky spot or something. I think with your help I'll get this figured out though. One last thing... what the heck is that stretch frame and what should it include? Thank you kindly and Happy Friday!

The stretch frame is the bounding box from when you are creating the selection set for the linear stretch parameter. It will need to encompass the top of the block and the move parameter.

Thanks.