Technique used to edit Solidworks Fonts in the Text mode?

chubarka

I'm fairly sure that we all have experienced problems extruding some of the fonts that are native to Solidworks while in the text mode. Of course it depends how close we space lettering, the point size etc. Sometimes lines touch that shouldn't which of course prevents the extruding of the lettering, or the debossing for that matter. I know there is a technique used to edit the individual letters to correct the geometry so that extrusion is possible. If anyone here would be willing to share it, I know we would all appreciate it.

Thanking you is,

Chubarka

Text is always a thing... There are CAM programs like Mastercam that use "STICK FONT" to just provide a path to cut/engrave text. The big issue you have when modeling text is that each letter, depending on the font, can be made of many lines. In the sketch text properties you can change the find by deselcting "Use Document Font" and then click the "FONT" button. You have to use a font that works well for whatever you are doing. Something like "Franklin Gothic Book" Looks nice but will end up using thousands of lines for a simple word or Splines for arcs with dozens of control points. Other text like "GDT" uses less lines per arc.

To do what you are asking you need to select the sketch text while in the sketch , then right click and select "Dissolve sketch text". But again be careful with that font.

Another thing you can do is to make your own text out of simple geometry. I have done this before. You can save each set of sketch lines as a "Block" and insert it into any sketch you need. I have had to do this when customers text didn't have a font that worked well and i had to make their text/logos custom.

No Problem. I can't remember if SW2013 has the ability to sweep a solid, but you could manually make a "stick font" and then sweep-cut it with a sketch or a solid that represents an engraving tool. There are probably a dozen ways to do text each with their own pitfalls. If you need specific help just let me know.