Flatten a drawing

samifox

hi

using autocad 2017,

having a drawing with unwanted Z axes.

the drawing contains nearly all kinds of objects.

tried using Flatten but without success

(drawing attached)

ay idea?

Tx

mig_607.dwg

I had this problem once. You have two main choices. One, write a routine to replace every Z coordinate with zero. Two, use Quick Select, use Properties to get each type of object, and manually type zeroes into the Z coordinates. Unless you have a similar routine already, it's probably quicker to use the second option. And by now, you've had time to do it.

I had this problem once. You have two main choices. One, write a routine to replace every Z coordinate with zero. Two, use Quick Select, use Properties to get each type of object, and manually type zeroes into the Z coordinates. Unless you have a similar routine already, it's probably quicker to use the second option. And by now, you've had time to do it.
I downloaded the drawing and tried this. It is possible even though I am only running LT, and FLATTEN doesn't exist in LT.

It would have been easy if there were not a couple three dozen block definitions with content that had varying "Z" values. It would have required opening each block in the block editor and changing the Z there. Too much. Attribute def's with a Z of -53,896.087 units, while the rest of the block was at zero Z? Seriously? :shock: That drawing is not even 3D, or shouldn't be, and it is a meZZ. a hot meZZ.

There were also objects 50 k and 100 k units up too. cheeeze looeeeze!

And the text objects and dimensions, very hard to manipulate manually in Properties. What's with all the oddball scale factors? It was a fun exercise but got tedious and the results were kinda messed up so I didn't save it. Wouldn't want the OP to overwrite a good drawing with my bad one by accident.

And everything in the drawing is miles from 0,0,0.

I don't even want to know why a lot of the text is backwards, really backwards. Some of it only looks backwards because it is not an English character set, but the rest of it is flat out backwards. Maybe it is Davinci Code?:D

Lots of blocks with the items inside having z values, you'll need to find a LISP to set everything inside blocks and maybe even some nested blocks to have Z=0, then you can set the rest to Z=0.

Yes, this drawing was poorly done.

I used the old 0,0,1e99 method, found in this post: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?43691-Floating-lines-in-sketchup-after-importing-them-from-ACAD-What-should-i-do&p=303014&viewfull=1#post303014

This took care of all the objects not in blocks. I then used QSELECT to select all Line and Polyline elements, in which I set the Thickness value to zero. All that is left was the blocks, which were few.

-TZ

Dana: Are you saying that whoever created the drawing should seriously think about getting into another line of work?:ouch::lol:
Well, not a line of work exactly...