How Highlighting a Selection Set ?

DuanJinHui

(setq ss (ssget))
(repeat (setq in (sslength ss))
 (vla-highlight (vlax-ename->vla-object (ssname ss (setq in (1- in)))) :vlax-true)
)

(setq ss (ssget))
 (vla-highlight (vlax-ename->vla-object (ssname ss (setq in (1- in)))) :vlax-true)
)

Thank you Sir .I will test.

(redraw <entity> 3)

Hi Mr Tharwat . Thank you for reply .

I know "redraw" function . But this can only Highlighting object (ent) ,not for a Selection Set.

(redraw <entity> 3)

I was wondering before where the redraw function is used... now I will know, thanks! :)

BTW (sssetfirst nil SS) may work, but it should be avoided for a large selection sets - because its really slow.

I was wondering before where the redraw function is used... now I will know, thanks! :)

My pleasure. :)

You can explore this function more since it has more actions to do other than just highlighting an entity.

BTW (sssetfirst nil SS) may work, but it should be avoided for a large selection sets - because its really slow.

There is a difference between these two functions (redraw & sssetfirst).

(...)But this can only Highlighting object (ent) ,not for a Selection Set.

(setq ss (ssget))
 (redraw (ssname ss (setq in (1- in))) 3)
)

You can explore this function more since it has more actions to do other than just highlighting an entity.

Yeah, I had to research from the help reference on the internet, the only info from the help on my acad 2015 about redraw is:

"Refreshes the display in the current viewport."

The reference from here reveals alot more info about that function:

1 -- Show entity

2 -- Hide entity (blank it out)

3 -- Highlight entity

4 -- Unhighlight entity

There is a difference between these two functions (redraw & sssetfirst).

Yes I know, the thing is that I was always using sssetfirst to grip my selection - for the only reason to see what I've selected.

After some testing - indeed iterating over the SS with (redraw 3) looks/feels the fastest way, and to remove the highlighting - iterate all over again with (redraw 4).

Regen would also remove the highlights, but I try to avoid sssetfirst and regen, when working on a large drawings (they seem to slowdown the code's performance).

And I was even trying to regen only the active viewport...

How to be evil 101 :

(defun HideAll:CB ( rtr args / e )
 (and (equal args '("REGEN")) (setq e (entnext)) (while e (redraw e 2) (setq e (entnext e))) )
); defun HideAll:CB
(HideAll:CB nil '("REGEN"))
(foreach r (cdar (vlr-reactors :vlr-command-reactor)) (if (= "HideAll" (vlr-data r)) (vlr-remove r)))
(vlr-command-reactor "HideAll" '((:vlr-commandEnded . HideAll:CB)))

Edited by Grrr

How to be evil 101 :

(defun HideAll:CB ( rtr args / e )
 (and (equal args '("REGEN")) (setq e (entnext)) (while e (redraw e 2) (setq e (entnext e))) )
); defun HideAll:CB
(HideAll:CB nil '("REGEN"))
(foreach r (cdar (vlr-reactors :vlr-command-reactor)) (if (= "HideAll" (vlr-data r)) (vlr-remove r)))
(vlr-command-reactor "HideAll" '((:vlr-commandEnded . HideAll:CB)))

Must write opposite program for amateur Cad users if they tried this program by any bad luck. :lol: :lol:

Must write opposite program for amateur Cad users if they tried this program by any bad luck. :lol: :lol:

Its not that bad, just close (& save) the current drawing, and never use that code again. :lol:

Also I'm using this while working, its much faster to process only the active viewport - instead of the REGEN command :

(defun RegenActiveViewport nil 
 (vla-Regen (vla-get-ActiveDocument (vlax-get-acad-object)) acActiveViewport) 
)

And its temporary wayaround while that reactor is running.

• 2 weeks later...
I know "redraw" function . But this can only Highlighting object (ent) ,not for a Selection Set.

Please let me know when you find one.

Highlighting a selection set is very easy... use sssetfirst :)

(defun c:highlightselsel ( / selset)
(setq selset (ssget))
(sssetfirst nil selset)
)

Highlighting a selection set is very easy... use sssetfirst :)

Hi,

You can do instead of the variable selset and replace it with the ssget function immediately in the sssetfirst statement, what's importantly with this function is that it won't throw any error if ssget returned nil.

Hi,

You can do instead of the variable selset and replace it with the ssget function immediately in the sssetfirst statement, what's importantly with this function is that it won't throw any error if ssget returned nil.

I doubt the OP (or anyone else) would do that... my thougths for that conclusion are that

-Either the selection set is a result of functions using (ssget "X", (ssadd or (ssdel, and is already in a variable

-That selection set might need further processing, hence the need to have it in a var.

-Other than that, there's not much point of using (sssetfirst nil (ssget)), as it basically just complicate things to just "mimic" plain selecting things, that of course would still need some more complication to be sure that it wouldn't bomb if the user don't select anything. My 2 cents.

Cheers! :)