+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Default 3D Assistance Needed for Odd Shape

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

I've got an odd shape here that I want to turn into a 3D model. It's a round object with lots of irregular curves. I do pretty good with 3D objects that are not so complex, but I really don't know how to do this one. Extrude will most likely not work since the diameters change so much and it's not a flat bar. I've thought how revolve might work, but that too is not what I think will work.
    Attached Files
    It's deja vu, all over again.

Computer Details
    ReMark's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    Intel DX58SO2 LGA1366 X58
    CPU:
    Intel i7-960 Quad-core 3.20GHz 8MB cache
    RAM:
    12GB (3x4GB) PC3-106000 DDR3
    Graphics:
    nVidia Quadro K4200, 4GB GDDR5
    Primary Storage:
    150GB Velocipraptor 10,000 rpm
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Dell P24LLH - 24" wide screen LCD
    Discipline
    See details...
    ReMark's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    CAD Draftsman/Designer...chemical manufacturing.
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

I'm thinking LOFT but you'll have to create all the necessary circles to adequately cover the range of diameters that would be needed.
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

Eat brains...gain more knowledge!

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.

Luminous Being
    Using
    Civil 3D 2016

Not really sure but is this what your after had no real problems making but will await your response.
    Attached Images
    A man who never made mistakes never made anything

Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Thanks. I think ReMark has got what I need. I'll study up on doing a loft, and he's right, I'm going to need lots of circles to get it done. And as always, BIGAL you got some cool stuff there. But what I should have said is that this thing is shaped kind of like a dildo, if you know what I mean.

Using
    AutoCAD 2013
    At the confluence of worthlessness & invaluability

I would suggest Loft with the PATH option.
    Might need to do the fluid reservoir tip outboard, and add it, not sure how the loft to point would handle that.

I shouldn't think you will need all that many circles, as long as you have a Path.
    Volume and repetition do not validate opinions forged in the absence of thought.

Luminous Being
    Using
    Civil 3D 2016

Understand a banana cut in half. Its a Nurb type question rotating and changing from a positive to a negative curve.

Using
    AutoCAD 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Tillman View Post
    Thanks. I think ReMark has got what I need. I'll study up on doing a loft, and he's right, I'm going to need lots of circles to get it done. And as always, BIGAL you got some cool stuff there. But what I should have said is that this thing is shaped kind of like a dildo, if you know what I mean.
    Bill, I played around with this a bit, created a spline to use as a path.
    It ain't perfect, but it might help you come to grips with a better way to do it.

I added some circles, after earlier tries.
    The loft on the right is the last one I did, and it is based on the linework entities to the left of it.
    It was generated with the Path option.
    In the screenshot, you can see that if the lofted 3D Solid is selected, after the fact, there is a drop down menu available to alter the surface treatment, which affects the overall shape.
    Attached Images
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dadgad; 15th Apr 2017 at 12:38 pm.
    Volume and repetition do not validate opinions forged in the absence of thought.

Luminous Being
    Using
    Civil 3D 2016

Dadgad I thought the same idea a series of circles joining the two edges, just my 3D skills are pretty basic.

Reading another post referring to Fusion 360 the reference was "Freeform modeling" this may be more suitable for this type of shape.

Using
    AutoCAD 2013

Quote Originally Posted by BIGAL View Post
    Dadgad I thought the same idea a series of circles joining the two edges, just my 3D skills are pretty basic.

Reading another post referring to Fusion 360 the reference was "Freeform modeling" this may be more suitable for this type of shape.

No doubt this is how ReMark envisioned doing it in his earlier post.

Given that Bill had already supplied the .dwg with the shape, it was pretty straight forward.
    I started by drawing a number of straight polylines across the shape, each of them to the Perpendicular snap on the far side.
    I then drew circles centered on the midpoint of each of these lines, with the radius defined by snapping to either of the polyline endpoints.
    Each of these circles was 3D Rotated using the 2Points option, and the polyline endpoints by 90 degrees.
    I then drew a SPLINE, defined by the midpoint of each of the polylines (or the center snaps of the circles, as they should be the same).
    I enjoy doing most modeling from an isometric perspective, as it makes it easier to see what you are picking, although in some instances, it may not display the completed 3D Solid as accurately as an ortho view. I also tend to keep a copy of the defining linework to one side, in case I want or need it again.
    Start the LOFT command, and pick the circles in lofting order, then I used the PATH option, and selected the Spline as the path.
    By using the perpendicular snap when creating the defining polylines, the orientations of the individual circles conform to the overall design intention, as I understand it.
    If they were parallel to the XY plane, that would not be the case.

Probably the Reservoir tip is the hardest part of it, and I only spent a minute on it, nor did I do it justice.

I have never used Fusion 360, but based on the rave reviews by Shift, and other forum members, you may well be right about the Freeform Modeling capability.

I have only ever modeled 3D Solids, never meshes, surfaces nor nurbs, one of which might be more appropriate for this, not sure.

Offended by my failure to address the Reservoir tip a tad more diligently, I revisited it.
    Suffice it to say, that I improved the overall loft again by adding a few new circles, yet again, and I fixed the tip.

Honey let me introduce you, to my red headed mend.

It is now officially time for me to step away from the magic box!
    Attached Images
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dadgad; 16th Apr 2017 at 01:25 pm.

Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Thanks everyone. I'm just getting back to this method and will study how you modeled it. I think I understand but the first couple attempts I made at it did not function correctly for the loft. In any case, I was able to place the 3D model into my model and it looks great. Kind of a weird shape with nothing uniformly curved though.