Background Colors

Bill Tillman

I've got a drawing from a friend who apparently uses a different background color scheme than I do. He uses blue for the text and it makes it almost impossible to read on my model space because I use an almost black background. So I tried some other colors and sure enough that works for the text. But other items are still hard to see. I was wondering if anyone has experience with this kind of color scheme. He uses true color 32 for his dimension lines and text and that too is difficult to see on my screen. Can anyone suggest a suitable background color that will work with a theme like this?

And while I'm on the same subject, when I use options to set my background to a different color it changes my setting in all AutoCAD drawings. Is there a way to do this on a file by file basis?

Have you tried using a white or light gray background?

To my knowledge the background color setting is global not individual as are most if not all of the other color settings found under Options > Colors.

Edited by ReMark

This may help worked for me

(setq lev1 (vla-get-preferences (vlax-get-Acad-object)))
(setq levd (vla-get-display lev1))
(setq col (vla-get-GraphicsWinModelBackgrndColor levd))
(vlax-dump-object col)
; look at big number #<variant 19 6790187>
;set your background colour now do next line 
(vla-put-GraphicsWinModelBackgrndColor levd 6790187)
; also GraphicsWinLayoutBackgrndColor
; black is 0
; white is 16777215
; light blue as above

Edited by BIGAL

You could use LAYTRANS to adjust the layer colors to your particular needs, which would leave your computer set as you like it, and essentially override any problematic layer color definitions.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/AutoCAD-Core/files/GUID-F2793AC4-872D-40D1-8359-EDA51C51EEEA-htm.html

Edited by Dadgad

I Toggle all my display colors for outside drawings with the same issue using http://jtbworld.com/autocad-backgroundchanger-lsp

I've modified the colors for my preferences, and added a macro to my Ribbon to make the switch easier.

Command Name: BackgroundColor

Macro: ^C^C^P(or bgt (load "BackgroundChanger.LSP"));bgt

Small image: RCDATA_16_COLOR

Large image: RCDATA_32_COLOR

I added Lee Mac's LM:RGB->OLE function to the lisp to get the color format for the lisp: http://www.lee-mac.com/colourconversion.html#rgbole

Example:

(vla-put-GraphicsWinModelBackgrndColor disp (LM:RGB->OLE 33 40 48))

for setting a dark gray background.