Replace current block using current block's attribute

Gotrekk

Hi everyone,

I have some different blocks with same attributes:

"new_block"

"block_num"

... some more attributes ...

I'd like to select some of them and then replace them with another block named from value of "new_block" and "block_num". Do You think it's actually possible?

For example, I have some blocks named "wallet" with attributes

new_block = "paper"

block_num = "13"

id like to replace all selected blocks with a block called "paper_13", keeping all attributes, rotation, layer, scale, etc.

I found this routine:

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?56790-Replace-only-selected-blocks-with-a-different-one&p=384911&viewfull=1#post384911

It does most of it, it replaces selected blocks with new one, but i have no idea on how to make it pick up the new block from current attributes.

Any ideas?

thanks in advance

regards

It can be very simple :

Replacement BLOCK name "FDI-OLB"

[b][color=BLACK]([/color][/b]defun c:blk-ch [b][color=FUCHSIA]([/color][/b]/ r ss i ed en[b][color=FUCHSIA])[/color][/b]
 [b][color=FUCHSIA]([/color][/b]setq r [color=#2f4f4f]"FDI-OBL"[/color][b][color=FUCHSIA])[/color][/b]

[b][color=FUCHSIA]([/color][/b]and [b][color=NAVY]([/color][/b]setq ss [b][color=MAROON]([/color][/b]ssget [b][color=GREEN]([/color][/b]list [b][color=BLUE]([/color][/b]cons 0 [color=#2f4f4f]"INSERT"[/color][b][color=BLUE])[/color][/b][b][color=BLUE]([/color][/b]cons 2 [color=#2f4f4f]"FDI-OCT,FDI-OCT2"[/color][b][color=BLUE])[/color][/b][b][color=GREEN])[/color][/b][b][color=MAROON])[/color][/b][b][color=NAVY])[/color][/b]
      [b][color=NAVY]([/color][/b]setq i 0[b][color=NAVY])[/color][/b]
      [b][color=NAVY]([/color][/b]while [b][color=MAROON]([/color][/b]setq en [b][color=GREEN]([/color][/b]ssname ss i[b][color=GREEN])[/color][/b][b][color=MAROON])[/color][/b]
             [b][color=MAROON]([/color][/b]setq ed [b][color=GREEN]([/color][/b]entget en[b][color=GREEN])[/color][/b][b][color=MAROON])[/color][/b]
             [b][color=MAROON]([/color][/b]entmod [b][color=GREEN]([/color][/b]subst [b][color=BLUE]([/color][/b]cons 2 r[b][color=BLUE])[/color][/b] [b][color=BLUE]([/color][/b]assoc 2 ed[b][color=BLUE])[/color][/b] ed[b][color=GREEN])[/color][/b][b][color=MAROON])[/color][/b]
             [b][color=MAROON]([/color][/b]entupd en[b][color=MAROON])[/color][/b]
             [b][color=MAROON]([/color][/b]setq i [b][color=GREEN]([/color][/b]1+ i[b][color=GREEN])[/color][/b][b][color=MAROON])[/color][/b][b][color=NAVY])[/color][/b][b][color=FUCHSIA])[/color][/b]
 [b][color=FUCHSIA]([/color][/b]prin1[b][color=FUCHSIA])[/color][/b][b][color=BLACK])[/color][/b]

Note the replacement block must exist in the current drawing for use to work.

Beware, anytime you redefine an attributed block, unexpected results can happen in future drawings.

All we are doing is referencing the replacement BLOCK geometry in lieu of the original's.

I'm assuming that you can ( strcat ) together the replacement block name..

-David

test.dwg