Recognize SHX Text

OK, it's a start. it's too bad that the PDF import doesn't automatically do this.

Also, unfortunately, it seems that PDF import interprets some bold fonts as solid fills, which are not recognized as SHX text.

I'm not sure why they went to all of this trouble, when they already have a pretty decent OCR routine in Raster Design.

Having said that, I still don't understand why people are printing to PDF, then importing that PDF back into CAD, and then wanting the TEXT to reappear.

Why not just go back to the original DWG file?

I'm not sure why they went to all of this trouble, when they already have a pretty decent OCR routine in Raster Design.

Having said that, I still don't understand why people are printing to PDF, then importing that PDF back into CAD, and then wanting the TEXT to reappear.

Why not just go back to the original DWG file?

In my case, the files were created 10 years ago, and the client only had the PDF versions.

Unfortunately the original architect used some odd SHX fonts in the room ID tags that only import back in as solid fill objects.

Acrobat Pro also has a pretty good OCR (at least it does in my old Acrobat Pro 8).

I tried that. it didn't want to work for me.

A follow up. after using it for a while

The feature works OK.... sort of

as long as you are using it in a limited fashion. It's best to create a temporary layer, make that the active layer, but turn it off so that when you convert a block of text, it disappears and you can see if any letter (or parts of a letter, or periods, or dashes) got skipped. then you need to spell check at which point, you need to figure out if "ST RAGE" is what the original drafter wrote, or if there was a conversion failure.

It sometimes has trouble with rotated text.

The biggest issue is that the function appears to have a memory leak type error. if you use it a lot, it will stop working properly. or you will have other problems that you will need to save your work, and reboot the program to clear out.