Autocad 2018 crashes on visual style : realistic

jamos

Good day all your clever people. I have installed autocad 2018 and experience a problem that , in 3d modeling, it crashes the moment i try to switch from any view to REALISTIC view. All other 3d views is no problem, but when i click on the realistic view icon, it makes a fatal crash. Also it does the same when i try to open the materials browser.

This is a fresh install and i have tried to repair the install. Everthing else works perfect. The file i am working on was created on my previous version, autocad 2014.

Also, i am using a new laptop now. i7 version 7 processor, 16gig ram, nvidea gtx 950 2gig graphics, direct xi.

I have tried now for hours on the autodesk site forums to look for a solution or a service pack or something, no succes.

Can anyone please help if you had the same problem and managed to solve it???

Sorry if i posted this in the wrong spot, I'm not sure as to where it should go

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jamos

• Cad64

• Dana W

• ReMark

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wouldn't expect any service packs for a while. 2018 was only released about 3 or 4 weeks ago.

Have you run the 3DCONFIG command and tried enabling or disabling Hardware Acceleration?

I've been unable to find anyone else using AutoCAD 2018 reporting a similar problem when switching visual styles. Sounds like ot is unique to your set up. I'd follow the advice given by Cad64 and see what happens.

Thank you cad64 and remark. I have made a note to try to switch the hardware deceleration off. I have read a posting on someone with the similar problem in 2017 and he also suggested that.

I'll try that fisrt thing tomorrow

Any suggestions on how i should set up the 3d configuration? I suposse one can change some settings once in there?

2018.0.2 update is available now. Not saying it will fix the OP's problem, just that they already released an update.

There's an update already? :lol: They were probably already working on it before they released the program.

How bout that. My 2018 LT is only three days old and already gets to be updated. I don't see it out there yet for LT but sure it's coming. Of course the first update I got after installing 2015 LT was to fix some bugs in Chinese character handling. :lol:

To the OP, I doubt if a 2 gig video processor is going to run easy on realistic. Check your device manager in control panel and see if your NVidia card is even enabled and set as the default video processor. When I bought a laptop a couple years ago with a NVidia gt650 installed, it took me a couple of weeks to realize it was defaulting to the HD4000 on the motherboard rather than the add on card.

From what I can recall there isn't much you can change. It's either enabled or disabled.

If you access it from OPTIONS you can choose to manually configure it, at least that is the case in 2013 Vanilla.

Starting on the SYSTEM tab, as shown in the screenshot.

Hardware Acceleration can be on, but with some non-essential and power zapping functionality turned off.

Adaptive Degradation is also a useful tool, if you feel your FPS is lagging, perhaps under the weight of sofftware functionality which is routinely not utilized.

Adjusting Dynamic tesselation, to reduce memory drain, or turning it off, may also help.

Hardware Acceleration and 3D Performance Tweaking.jpg

Edited by Dadgad

Hardware Acceleration is a double edged sword.

Sounds like a good thing, and it can be, but such is not ALWAYS the case.

There are lots of threads wherein knowledgable forum members, trying to help others, make suggestions along the lines of...

If your Hardware Acceleration is switched off, enable it.

If your Hardware Acceleration is ENABLED, turn it off.

But having it turned on, but tweaked, so as to only enable those functions which are important to you, at any given moment, while minimizing negative impact, might just be the ticket.

Dana's suggestion in post #10 is certainly worth checking out. :beer:

How bout that. My 2018 LT is only three days old and already gets to be updated. I don't see it out there yet for LT but sure it's coming. Of course the first update I got after installing 2015 LT was to fix some bugs in Chinese character handling. :lol:

To the OP, I doubt if a 2 gig video processor is going to run easy on realistic. Check your device manager in control panel and see if your NVidia card is even enabled and set as the default video processor. When I bought a laptop a couple years ago with a NVidia gt650 installed, it took me a couple of weeks to realize it was defaulting to the HD4000 on the motherboard rather than the add on card.

It is there, was available the same day as plain AutoCAD.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-lt/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Update-2018-02-available-for-AutoCAD-and-AutoCAD-LT.html

Looks like that Update 2018.0.2 needs to be installed by EVERYONE using 2018, otherwise their subscription will expire on June 1st. I wonder if they have sent out emails to let everybody know?

Note: The 2018.0.2 update fixes a defect that would otherwise have caused the product subscription to expire on June 1, 2017 with a pre-release product error message. Be sure to install this update before that time to avoid subscription expiration.

Thanks, had not actually looked this week. ima go get it tonight. Wouldn't want to expire.

Funny, at work we installed 2016 two years ago, and it expired in a month, even though we had paid in advance for 2 seats for a year. No notice, it just came up with the typical expired message just like a trial version does.

Looks like that Update 2018.0.2 needs to be installed by EVERYONE using 2018, otherwise their subscription will expire on June 1st. I wonder if they have sent out emails to let everybody know?

Any consequences for employees not knowing if they are 'on subscription' or any other form of contact?

Any consequences for employees not knowing if they are 'on subscription' or any other form of contact?

Yes, they are all fired! :lol:

Can you imagine if you came into work early on June 2nd to try and get some extra work done and then find out that Autocad won't open because the subscription is expired? Then you have to sit there for a few hours waiting for your CAD manager to arrive to get the problem sorted out. Yeah, thanks Autodesk. :glare: