Dynamic block of a section

tdunn_3

I am trying to stretch my block of a section from the quarter corner but I need to be able to have different distance multipliers for the x and y values. This is my first attempt at creating a dynamic block so I am sure I am missing something obvious. I have only started working with the east quarter corner

secBlock.dwg

why is it split into quarters ? the base point is in the bottom left and stretch in the top right, surely just a rectangle with dividing lines would suffice or do you intend adding other features later?

I want to be able to attach the four corners to found section corners (land surveying) and then be able to adjust any corners that are found on the quarter sections afterwards. I want it to work like this but the center line need to go straight across but all the red and magenta lines need to hold their ratios in each quarter. I hope I am making sense, lol.

secBlock2.dwg

Not 100% but thats because I don't have a clue about surveying, what is it that doesn't do what you want in this block, should both center crosshairs stay horizontal and vertical? Because I have to say for a first attempt at a dynamic block this is a serious bit of work, well done. Could you maybe do a few sketches of the possible outcomes it should (or probably better should not) do.

I would like the it to look like the one on the left, when I move the midpoint. Is there anyway to have something stretch and have different multipliers for the x and y directions?

open?id=0B1ATOff4-14hdmJwLUFkRExLTzQ

I want to be able to attach the four corners to found section corners (land surveying) and then be able to adjust any corners that are found on the quarter sections afterwards. I want it to work like this but the center line need to go straight across but all the red and magenta lines need to hold their ratios in each quarter. I hope I am making sense, lol.

secBlock2.dwg

I still don't understand what you are trying to do...

I still find it difficult to visualize exactly what you are after, it would appear as though the crosshairs (center lines) need to remain straight, in which case I would just use a single line for those, and that the corners can be moved independantly of each other, so it looks also as though you would be better of with the base point in the center of the block and have your parameters based there as well, but then you mention moving the mid point which gets me confused. The distance multiplier isn't connected to X or Y it is just a value and works in either or both X and Y, it is the type of parameter that determines wether X or Y are used. A linear parameter or a point allow different movement and both can have a multiplier associated with them.

Attached is a block that uses just a single point, and stretches various lines by different degrees.

Stretching a point.dwg

Edited by steven-g

Here is a simplified version of my block. I need to stretch the line on the right and have the vertex of the red line to stay on the white horizontal line. I can do this by changing the multiplier to 0.75, but I also need the vertex to stay halfway from the right of the horizontal line to its intersection with the vertical line to the left. I can change the multiplier to 0.5, which is what it is set to now, and I can get the x value to behave correctly but it through the y value off.

Sorry for the posting faux pas I am a noob to this forum. I really appreciate everyone's help!

secBlock3.dwg

We'll get there in the end.

I'm pretty sure that the block is actually only suffering from a logic problem when the ends of the cross-hairs move, so.

Back to the total block, I'm just trying to get the logic straight

1) all four corners can be moved independently - correct ? (though the bottom left is the base point so in practice probably won't be stretched, only used to place the block)

2) when a corner moves it moves the center point of the two connecting edges by a factor of 0.5, so has an effect on 3 quadrants and both cross-hairs

3) all four of the ends of the cross-hairs can be moved independently - correct ? but shouldn't cause the other cross-hair to become bent (though the center point may be moved along the length of the second cross-hair)

4) the cross-hairs can be at an angle to each other but must remain straight along their length - correct ?

5) within each quadrant the red lines need to divide the perimeter into 4 equal divisions - even though the 4 perimeter edges could all be at different lengths and angles - correct ?