Civil 3D Drawing with XRefs is bogging down

TopLine

Hi there, hoping someone can help me out. I don't use autocad much, just for my construction staking projects. I have a simple street project going, and the designers have provided me with the edgelines drawing. I have Xref'ed in the storm sewer and sanitary drawings. When I add a label using the station and offset from alignment tool, the drawing locks up for about 8-10 seconds, and then everything is fine. I will add hundreds of labels for my layout, and this is just annoying to sit and wait for it to continue. What's going on!

I have other projects that I have worked on with autocad, and this issue doesn't happen on those jobs. Maybe it's something to do with how I attached the xrefs?

Thanks for any insight to this.

How much RAM do you have? It may be that you have run out of RAM and AutoCAD is having to cache the drawings on your hard drive instead.

I haven't used Civil 3D in years but does a separate ribbon bar activate when you use the tool. Sometimes command specific ribbons activate when using a tool and their load time is atrocious. This can usually be disabled in the CUI.

Thanks for the replies iconeo. I don't think it has to do with my RAM. This has to be something with this specific drawing. I can open another drawing and it works like a dream. One of the xrefs has a lot of points loaded in it, but I wouldn't think that would slow it down.

I don't have a clue what the CUI is! Just a part timer here.

CIV3D still suffers once you get into big data sets, how many points in the xref ? I have 200k+ and you notice the impact.

Like SLW210 we have our temp drives set to a c:\acadtemp directory to stop hammering the network server. DWGS are saved to server.

Try also attach the points into the dwg rather than a xref see if that helps.

Xrefs are "local", I guess. I have one home office computer.

There are only 200-300 points in the xref drawing. They are points created by the designer for layout of the sanitary and water mains. I am not using these points at all, as I do my layout using station and offset from alignments.

I added these xrefs as an "overlay", not as an "attachment". Wondering if this has something to do with it?

• 4 weeks later...

Fixed the problem. I finally got a hold of my autocad rep, and he helped me out. It had everything to do with the xref files. I had to click on the xref layer in layer properties, and hit the invert filter button. Now, when I want to move a station and offset label, it works within one second, not 8 seconds.