Engineering Units vs Decimal

I received a drawing from a surveyor in Engineering units. It dimensions correctly, however, I want to use decimal units. When I measure or draw anything 1 unit = 1 inch even though the drawing units are set to feet.

Any ideas?

At the command line type UNITS you can then set the units to decimal. the INSUNITS only affects scaling when inserting into another drawing. the unit of the drawing is what ever you set it to. if the drawing was originally drawn to 1 unit is 1 inch then you will need to scale by 12 to make 1 unit be 1 foot

Decimal inches? Surveyor's units are decimal feet. I'd think if you are working with Civil Engineers, you might want to leave the drawing as it is. Meaurement is language.

-DWGUNITS and set the drawing up as you want it.

How Dimensioning works is separate from the Drawing Units, you can have Inches, Feet, Millimeters, Centimeters, Decimeters and Meters Drawing Units with Drawing Unit Display Formats of Scientific, Decimal, Engineering, Architectural and Fractional on any of those drawings.

For Example, I could set my Drawing Units FEET and my Drawing Unit Display Formats and/or Dimensions to display Architectural (FEET/INCHES) or any of the others. I could set my Drawing Units to millimeters and my Drawing Unit Display Formats to Architectural and have Dimension Styles that can display any or all of them.

Also, UNITS only sets the Display Units (what you see in the Dynamic Input or if you use Distance, etc.), has nothing to do with the Drawing Units or the Dimension Display.

P.S.

I moved your thread to the AutoCAD 2D Drafting, Object Properties & Interface Forum.

Apparently the survey file passed through the architect. I'm not sure why they used Engineering units as opposed to Architectural. The Dimstyle was set to Engineering so dimensions worked correctly.

Since we need a 3D model with accurate coordinate the surveyor will provide us his drawing. I wish Autodesk realized architects and engineers work closely together and made things work more seamless.

Thanks for the input!

James