Tool to check software compatibility for computer

Dipali

I was not sure in which section this question should go do decided to post here.

i have autodesk building design suit-2015 license and I need a computer with good specs which can run all the software of the bundle when need arises. mainly i will be using autocad, revit & 3d max

My husband runs an IT company and he has few spare computer due to cut down of staff. so asked him for it and he says that now days usually, tools are available to check compatibility of computer for the software, so you find out the tool and give it to me. so I can run and check which computer will be suitable for you.

so do any of you know about this tool?

You don't need a tool. AutoDesk publishes the minimum system requirements for each piece of software it offers. Compare those specs to the specs of the computer/monitor you'll be using. Note the emphasis on the word minimum. It is my opinion that one should always exceed the minimum specs because they will also be running other programs in the background. On any given day besides the OS and AutoCAD I have MS Outlook, MS Office (Excel, Word and Access), Acrobat Reader, Draftsight and a browser open and running in the background. If you truly need to put a system through its paces then find and use the Cadalyst Systems Benchmark Test available at the Cadalyst magazine website.

A couple of things, watch out for Intel graphics only, we had to get new computers when going from 2013 -16 as the intel graphics card was not supported. The second thing is if using a large screen check that the graphics card can dirve it at a higher resolution, again this was a problem with the older Intel graphics card. Generally if it has a non intel graphics card it should run better.

Generally the machine with the best and fastest processor, the most RAM and best Graphics Card, even better if Autodesk has a driver for it (not an integrated, but dedicated) , an SSD would really improve things. If they have integrated Graphics, you will not likely be happy with any of them.

Best thing, have him provide a list of the machines and their specifications and post it here. Plenty here can look at the list and give recommendations.

Thank you all for reply. I told him about the specification from auto desk and some suggestions I had read on other threads here.

He has one particular machine in mind, which was used earlier by web developer in his firm, so he thinks it should be powerful enough for my purpose. And being in IT, they know about latest thinpgs available so he says there should be a tool, because it is available for some other softwares he had tried.

Anyways, I will tell him about cadlyst magazine website and will ask him to check out as suggested by Remark.

I will ask him to give me the specs, if possible. He can not straight away give me the pc, as he need to Clemens it up first, to remove his companies data and unrelated softwares.

We had some spare ram so gave it one of the guys downstairs he had 4Gb now has 12Gb his comment was how much better Autocad now worked, so if the ram is compatible steal it out of other boxes.

Another option is PassMark's Performance Test "to test your computer and compare its performance against baseline statistics and other users' PCs." This is called "benchmarking".

My laptop at home is a few years old and only a I3 so my passmark was 1252, I will try at work if the virus checker lets me. Remark yours ?

Re like Dadgad took a hit on screen resolution.

Edited by BIGAL

I ran it, that was fun, watching it put the laptop through the wringer, with intensive imaging.

I got 1934.5, but as the resolution of the built in screen is sub-standard, I took a 29% hit on that part of the test.

Edited by Dadgad

• 6 years later...
On 4/26/2017 at 10:58 AM, Dipali said:

I was not sure in which section this question should go do decided to post here.

i have autodesk building design suit-2015 license and I need a computer with good specs which can run all the software of the bundle when need arises. mainly i will be using autocad, revit & 3d max

My husband runs an IT company and he has few spare computer due to cut down of staff. so asked him for it and he says that now days usually, tools are available to check compatibility of computer for the software, so you find out the tool and give it to me. so I can run and check which computer will be suitable for you.

so do any of you know about this tool?

Hello! A few years ago, I used Samsung Galaxy Tab3 and Tab4 for surveys. We are currently setting up a M&E system in Cameroun and I wanted to buy the same kind but they are no longer available e ink writing tablet. Are there any suggestions for good tablets with 7-8" screens, 3G and Wifi, and 2MB RAM with a decent battery? Thanks

Hello! A few years ago, I used Samsung Galaxy Tab3 and Tab4 for surveys. We are currently setting up a M&E system in Cameroun and I wanted to buy the same kind but they are no longer available. Are there any suggestions for good tablets with 7-8" screens, 3G and Wifi, and 2MB RAM with a decent battery? Thanks