AutoCAD architecture help

Joyoustimmy

Good day. I have been learning AUTOCAD architecture (architectural desktop) for almost a year now. But am getting frustrated day by day. I subscribed for Paul Aubin tutorials on Lynda. But his tutorial is on how to use AutoCAD architecture for producing construction document. Please, I need someone to put me through on how to work On my elevations Using body modifiers and so on. I really need to learn this software as there is no training centres for AutoCAD architecture in my country. Please help me out. Looking forward to your reply

The industry has shifted to Revit Architecture so you will not find substantial tutorials, training or online learning centers for AutoCAD Architecture. The Revit platform would be the program I would suggest shifting to, lest your efforts in AutoCAD being in vain at this point.

If you do want to continue down the AutoCAD Architecture road, then I would suggest finding an online message board of members who still actively use it. I would try the Autodesk forums first, and go from there. You will find help in users, not in content at this point in the AutoCAD Architecture life cycle.

Hope this helps.

-TZ

Thank you. I have used revit architecture before but I prefer AutoCAD architecture to it. That is why I want to learn it. Moreso, I will be doing more of construction works, and AUTOCAD architecture is what works best for me

Thank you. I have used revit architecture before but I prefer AutoCAD architecture to it. That is why I want to learn it. Moreso, I will be doing more of construction works, and AUTOCAD architecture is what works best for me
Understandable. I would then seek out an active community. The one here is not active at all (as you can tell) so maybe jump board to board until you find a place that has members willing to assist.

-TZ

Thank you. Though am an active member of autodesk autocad architecture forum. I have posted there over time but the part I seem not to understand in AutoCAD architecture has not been adequately tackled. I was thinking that this forum might help.

That's unfortunate to hear. All I can say is keep trying. Have you tried searching for YouTube videos? What about purchasing an after-market book? ASCENT has training materials available for your program for however the description reads as follows..."AutoCAD Architecture 2014 Fundamentals (Imperial)".

Here's the link.

http://www.ascented.com/courseware-solutions/autodesk/courseware/autcad-architecture.aspx

OK. Good luck. Seems your task will not be made any easier if you have already explored the most common resources and come up empty handed.

As soon as I have the resource, I will order for some e-books that addressed what I needed to know.

Thanks anyways.

Just remember these things:

1. Revit has a ton of resources, and is not a dying platform so it will continue to grow.

2. AutoCAD architecture was Autodesk's attempt to mimic Revit in an AutoCAD platform when Autodesk bought Revit.

3. You mentioned elevations in your first post: this is Revit's specialty. I'm an old ACA user and it does not compare in any way shape or form to Revit's section/elevation capabilities.

4. You mentioned construction. I use Revit for construction every single day. I have no issues. You just have to learn the platform.

I tell you these things as a last reminder to consider your avenue. I understand people are comfortable with AutoCAD but realistically people who use CAD software for production should consider the trade offs as a whole. I still use AutoCAD daily, but diving into a platform and spending a lot of time and resources to learn something like ACA when you could be putting those eggs in a more productive basket is all I'm trying to convey to you. Keeping old drafting software and techniques around because you don't want to fix what isn't broke is understandable, but when you're expending resources on new software, new efforts, etc, I would then begin to consider my full options.

$0.02 is all.

-TZ

Well, AutoCAD architecture has been around even before the release of revit. It was previously called architectural desktop. People just try to run away from its complexity. Thanks anyways.

I'm well aware of ADT/ACA and the progression of both platforms, release dates, acquisition of Revit, and the continued development of both platforms since in Autodesk's hands. And you're absolutely right in running away from its complexity, and into the arms of simplicity with a better platform.

Good luck in your AutoCAD-only endeavors.

-TZ

Some of us are doomed to use a combination of Revit / Civil3d (other DWG software) together for years to come. Like doing civil structures like bridges, you can compare compare this where half the team is working with DWG sofwtare like ACA and various others are on Revit A combo that results in a lot of conversion and confusion, no where lean.

My point is , that after all these years of 'development' the product out there now are not nearly half compatible. ACA may have been complicated but i never had any change to work with it in combination with C3D. That would be way to logical for Autodesk to figure out.. Noooo, .. Revit is and will remain a DIRECT competion to DWG Architecture based software and that CAN'T be sold/rented together now can it? That is a EXIT DWG strategy So, for doing bridges we have to use Revit 'itelligence' for civil design (which sucks bigtime imo) or doing plain DWG (as fas as AUtodesk portfolio), where i am 'just' in need and waiting to see some ACA 3d intelligence to use.

So, If you, like me, still work with DWG based product and waiting for some improvement i wouldn't look for anything coming from Autodesk. Look elsewher, wider, further what Autodesk want to feed you. If you can't find it by google.

Did you Try / google 'BricsCAD bim'..?? I just heared it 3d parametric will come next release. EAT your heart out And Be afraid of the competition to come..

Edited by halam

Very true. It's all or nothing, one or the other. There's no in between. I always have sympathy for the civil guys who get roped into Revit. I just do not understand why a project requires civil to use Revit in any way.

As for your "waiting for some improvement" comment, I think this is true for civil, but not true for AEC industries. Not all, but most. Fire protection, fabrication, etc, those items need AutoCAD since the development is where it needs to be, only if you use specialty software. Even plain AutoCAD or even ACA still needs 3rd party to be productive.

..because ..Autodesk marketing machine keep preaching it CAN do Civil structures and people like 'bim managers' might even believe it. Not having any knowledge of it in the first place.

Just to give you a bigger picture.. Recently Nemetschek (Allplan) acquired a engineering firm in engineering bridges to strengthen their KNOWLEDGE and transfer to bring this in ONE platform. I don' see Autodesk doing that. 'make anything'?? You probably are right, its one way street at Autodesk leading to a dead end. 'Take it or leave it'.. Kind of a fast-food restaurant concept.

https://www.nemetschek.com/en/presse/press-releases/detail/allplan-to-expand-its-leadership-in-structural-and-civil-engineering-with-acquisition-of-btg-it-co/

Edited by halam

We use ACA to produce planning drawings, so we do quite a bit of work on elevations.

If you want to post any specific issues you're having I can *try* to help you out...

dJE

They are those here that use AutoCAD Architecture, just be patient and ask your questions.

Have you tried AUGI AutoCAD Architecture?

I manage to do pretty good elevations in Vanilla AutoCAD, do you really need AutoCAD Architecture tools for what you're doing?

• 1 year later...

Hi Joyoustimmy

Have you had any luck. I am in the same boat. I use autocad architecture 2018. I have done Lynda.com for autocad architecture 2018 and am always looking at your tube videos. I have only today started to look for a tutor. I have not used revit ... yet. If you have made progress please post here. I would like to progress faster.

Thanks