Dimension Question Associative

Hello,

I draw a simple rectangle. I place a dimension of the rectangle to another object on the drawing.

Question: Why when I select the rectangle, the dimension changes as I move the rectangle away from the other object, but sometimes another rectangle, drawn the same way, the dimension stays set, it will not change?

Thanks

When a dimension moves with the object, it is associative. Obviously you have a setting that makes dimensions associative when you create them. As long as the dimension stays associative, you can move the objects it's associated with, and the extensions move with them.

Certain actions break the association. You can check the status of "Associative" (Yes/No) under the dimension's General properties.

So the box for associative is checked, yet the dimension stays set, and does not change as the object moves...and i dont know why? Sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesnt.

CAD 2016

I stand corrected. I just selected one of the dimensions which did not change with the object. I then looked at the properties, for associative, it said NO. However, the Associative NO is grayed out and will not allow me to select YES.

How do I change the NO to YES?

Thanks

I stand corrected. I just selected one of the dimensions which did not change with the object. I then looked at the properties, for associative, it said NO. However, the Associative NO is grayed out and will not allow me to select YES.

How do I change the NO to YES?

Thanks

Apparently you are missing the snap point at one or more of the corners of the rectangle. If you miss by a distance less than your dimension precision level, it will not display an incorrect measurement.

If one or both ends of the dimension are not snapped to the object, then there is no associativity. A dimension measuring to a point in empty space cannot be associative, thus the grayed out option. To be associative, both ends of the dimension have to be snapped exactly on to the geometry.

I have noticed even dimensions previously properly snapped will lose the association, I just use Dimension Reassociate (_dimreassociate). Some where on CADTutor there is a LISP called ReAss.lsp that will reassociate all the Dims in the drawing to the nearest Snaps.

As for the Status of Associative being grayed out, it seems mine show YES and are grayed out, whether snapped to the object or not, I'm thinking that something is causing them to become non-Associative.