AutoCAD Annotation Font Size/Scale Error - Bug?

Shanni

Just throwing this out there but have you confirmed the original font style for these objects is on your computer?

There is a font substitution scheme built in to Autocad. If the text style used in drawing is not on your computer, Autocad goes through a step by step process to determine how to resolve it.

If there is no other alternative, Autocad will determine what text style it deems "similar" and substitute the original text style with that one. In the case of annotative objects, how it would resolve this I have no idea. But it might help explain the sizing if it is either resetting the annotative scaling or removing it altogether and replacing annotative objects with regular text somehow.

Keep in mind - Autocad does text substitution without telling you. So it is possible even if you haven't gotten any warnings or errors.

I got a file one time from a client where Autocad was replacing all text in the drawing with Vivaldi (wth) and on a coworkers computer it seemed fine.

It's the Only time in 13 years that it has happened to me. So it's like one of those rare unicorns of Autocad and I hadn't even heard about text substitution before that.

This is a link to the thread with a table I posted explaining more how it works, if you suspect it to be the case.

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?97894

ChriS

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shanni

• qball

• RobDraw

• Ski_Me

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any updates on this problem? I am now having this problem. Most of my co-workers have had this problem but we're not sure if it started in Autocad 2017 or 2018 (LT). I just switched to '18 and started having the problem. It does not happen with all blocks.

You can see how it is supposed to look on the layout and how it publishes to pdf.

block error.jpg

Okay, so just let me throw this out there. AutoCAD and PDFs have always had their issues with each other. This may be fixed with a PDF printer font setting or even a different PDF printer.

If you're situation is the same as the OP, I think ammobake is on to something. This sounds like it might be a font mapping thing. AutoCAD might not be looking at the same font definition as the newly assigned one with the same name. In other words, Windows might be looking at a different font definition than AutoCAD is.

Stylus BT (TrueType) is in my Windows Fonts from Control Panel. That is our standard font for most text objects and blocks.

I think the OP had two problems. I think one was an Annotative Block issue which appears in paper, model and plotting.

The second issue was publishing with the error, but Plotting individual layouts was not a problem. That is the problem I have. Something in Publish is either different or getting overwhelmed.

My Page Setups use DWG to PDF

Publish > PDF Preset uses Autocad PDF (General Documentation)

If I switch Publish > PDF Preset to "DWG to PDF" the same problem occurs.

This is from Migrating from 2017 LT to 2018 LT. I've tried to minimize my custom settings to avoid these kinds of issues.

page setup manager.png

I think she was having both but it was more clear on the Autodesk forum. Still no solution and she left the company where the problem was. I'm starting a new thread for my specific issue. .