Troubleshooting: Is it a Civil3D or Laptop Setting

RichardS

I am currently working in Civil 3D 2016 with a laptop and am experiencing really slow drawing lag times. I have indicated some details of the CAD station setup I have and some of the various issues I am having. I wanted to ask if this issue could be because of a computer hardware issue or perhaps a setting in either my AutoCAD or laptop settings. Any help with this would greatly appreciated.

Working in each individual file is fine (once loaded). It's doing a few tasks that I have indicated below is where I am having most of the issues. Almost all the files I am working with are small in size (1,500 KB - 11,000 KB)

CAD Station Specs:

Lenovo ThinkPad P50 (Docking Station)

Windows 7 (64-Bit System)

Processor: Intel Core I7 6820HQ (2.7 GHz)

Memory (RAM): 32.0 GB

Video Card: NVIDIA Quadro M2000M (4 GB) Direct x11

Dual Monitors: Lenovo ThinkVision P27h

Various Issues: (All items listed take a really long time for the drawing to execute)

Opening/Closing drawings (Extremely long load time)

Saving drawing files

Publishing drawings to PDF

XREF's (Attaching, Re-loading)

Thanks for any input.

Sounds like AutoCAD is looking for something, are you connected to a Network? Have you disabled the added Autodesk stuff that searches the Internet?

I'd say SLW210 is on the right track. All your issues have to do with reading and writing files, but you don't specify your storage device. For instance, if your files are on a server somewhere and you're using a poorly configured wi-fi, that could explain the delays.

All my files are located locally on my machine. I do have to connect to my companies network via a VPN but the issues that I experience happen when I'm working locally on my machine.

My laptop has a 500 GB hard drive that is partitioned into two drives. All my CAD files are located on the secondary drive away from my "C" drive where I have all my programs loaded.

Could this be a video card issue?

Sounds like AutoCAD is looking for something, are you connected to a Network? Have you disabled the added Autodesk stuff that searches the Internet?

What else is running concurrent with Civil 3D?

What are you using as an anti-virus program? Perhaps your AV program is aggressively targeting some of the Civil 3D program files (usually .dll's).

Have you had this problem from day one or did it just suddenly appear? What may have changed?

What have you done to troubleshoot the problem so far?

Working locally or not, AutoCAD may still be searching for something from when you are connected to your company, maybe even some xref, etc.. Check the drawing history from your first drawing opened to see what all it was trying to open.

Also, look into disabling the internet programs that AutoCAD has set automatically, like Info Center and 360.

Barring it's your anti-virus as mentioned by ReMark, sounds exactly like what happens when AutoCAD is searching for something and can't find it.

Your Graphics Card should be plenty, maybe check for latest certified driver from Autodesk.

Check your CONFIG Files settings and make sure they all point to the C: or D: if they point to the network then it may be doing retrys before giving up and using c: