Dimensions help!

Hi wondering if anyone could help with a problem i have re: dimensions.

I have an architects dwg and pdf. When i open the dwg it seems about half of the dims are knocked out of sync and are no longer in the centre of the dim lines. All dims are on the same layer, dim style, and have the same propeties etc. so it seems like it is a system variable that could possibly be the problem?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Please attach a copy of the actual dwg file to your next post and someone here will take a look at it. Thank you.

Welcome to CADTutor scoey1001. :)

Are the dimension values correct, but their text display location is incorrect?

What is the name of the dimstyle?

Thanks, I have now attached the file.

For example if you look at the dimensions in the kitchen they should all be centred above the dim lines (as they appear on the architects pdf).

Thanks

E-10-500 - C8.DWG

If it were a system variable that caused the problem then I would expect all similar dimensions to exhibit the same behavior.

There's no magic fix, the dimension text can be moved, for clarity or personal choice. When originally created they are usually centered except when there isn't enough space between the extension lines then it is placed off to one side. It looks in this drawing as though someone has draged the dimensions about, if you want them centered again you have to do it one by one, draging the grips back to the center of the dimension line.

If it were a system variable that caused the problem then I would expect all the dimensions to exhibit the same behavior.

Yes maybe not a system variable then. But there is something that is causing some of the dims to move position when i open the drawing on my computer. Very puzzling :?

There's no magic fix, the dimension text can be moved, for clarity or personal choice. When originally created they are usually centered except when there isn't enough space between the extension lines then it is placed off to one side. It looks in this drawing as though someone has draged the dimensions about, if you want them centered again you have to do it one by one, draging the grips back to the center of the dimension line.

So do you think the architect has dragged the dimensions to centre on the ones that don't fit, then pdf'd the drawing and not saved the changes? i find this hard to believe as surely if done once on 20+ drawings they would have saved the changes. Like i say i have the same revision pdf and all dims are centre.

End all doubt by calling the architect and asking.

I just rang them as you posted this and although they use microstation rather than Autocad she opened the drawing using Trueview and all the dimensions were centered. So even more confused now! i also tried opening the dwg on a colleagues computer and the dims were out of sync.

As ReMark has suggested the only way to find out is ask, if you received the drawings and the text was already moved. All I can say is in my experience things don't tend to move by themselves, it certainly looks as though the dims have been placed in paper space and then there extensions moved to line up with the underlying model geometry, because most dimensions are not assosiated. If you didn't do it then someone did.

The dimensions are not uniform, some are associative, some are not.

If you go into Modelspace and check the length of a dimension, one of those in the block, they are not correct.

The paperspace dimstyle FIT has been set to set the Text Placement over the dimension line, with leader.

Those positions have then been manually repositioned, as Steven said.

Lots of the paperspace dimensions have had their values overridden too, because the linework was not accurately drawn.

No magic dimensional bullet, nor system variables to blame.

Sorry to say it, but that's the deal, better get busy! :|

As ReMark has suggested the only way to find out is ask, if you received the drawings and the text was already moved. All I can say is in my experience things don't tend to move by themselves, it certainly looks as though the dims have been placed in paper space and then there extensions moved to line up with the underlying model geometry, because most dimensions are not assosiated. If you didn't do it then someone did.

See above. When the architect opens the drawing on their computer using trueview all dims are centered.

When i open the same drawing (exact same file both accessed from an online drawing database) on my computer using autocad dims are not centered.