Can't Join Polyline because it's closed (but, it's really open) =/

MuTT

Okay, I got into a rather weird problem. Now, I have been using AutoCAD since 2003 and I have used this technique thousands of times.

But, today I've run into something quite different. The symptom is this - an open pline can't join anything because it's closed. :?

For those reading this I'll be happy to elaborate in text form (just ask), but I feel it's much easier to watch the video that I created showing exactly the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhWBgG48cl4

I'm hoping the problem is something pretty darn obvious - but it isn't to me - at least not at the moment anyway.

I would just redraw the polyline and then delete the one that refuses to cooperate. Much easier and faster than trying to figure out why Autocad did whatever it did. Or, as eldon suggested, post the CAD file so we can take a look.

It can quite easily be closed, putting your video in full screen it is still too blured to see any real text, but the polyline you highlight appears to just have 2 segments but in the list it has 4 vertices, which is a big clue, it is closed back along itself.

Try this, draw a line, just a single line, now start the pedit command, it will ask if you want to convert it into a polyline click yes, at the next prompt pick close, you now have in properties a closed polyline, In the properties or using list you will find it has 2 vertices. now explode the polyline and you will find you end up with 2 lines on top of each other.

Now explode your closed polyline that you showed in the video, I'll bet you are left with 4 lines. How you got there is another question altogether, and you will need to think back to how the drawing was created. You could try exploding everything, then select everything and run overkill, then use the pedit command with the multiple option, but if asked be careful about selecting close as an option.

Any problems and posting the drawing file will let someone see if there are any other issues