+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Using
    AutoCAD 2006

Default Planning permission, Internet and AutoCad...

Hello All ,

I'm looking for some feedback, if you don't mind. I'm drawing my first set of plans for a house extension, using a scale of 1:1 but I'm a little confused on the set up I need for sending via the internet. I have been trained mechanically and we plotted to fit, not to scale however I think I have got the hang of it and wanted to run it past people in the know before I complete the rest of the drawings.

I have drawn 1:1, and set up layout tab 1 to plot to iso A3. This displays all of my drawing fairly centred and I'm quessing it has 'scaled' the drawing to fit. My next step is to set up my title block (I know I should have done this prior)

When I put scale, paper space etc into my title block do I put 1:1 (scale) and the A3 size as the paperspace size, or do I need to know what the scale is on the layout? (on page setout manager I am scaled 1:1)

I hope this makes sense, I have confused myself mightly so far and hope not to have confused you too!

I cant plot preview as I only have an a4 Printer

Using
    Architectural DT 2005

Smile

1. first Create an a3 titleblock template and insert it into your paperspace.

2. set up the sheet, select printer, select the A3 paper then window your extents, centre your plot and select your plot styles etc..leave your scale in the plot scale window at 1:1

3.Use your viewports toolbar and create a viewport, set your scale to your desired scale in the viewports toolbar dropdown...or print it in the same box i.e 1:100 or whatever....

that should be about it.....

When you say sending via the internet...do you mean email???

iain

Using
    AutoCAD 2006

Hi Iain, thank you

I think it's via a programme actually linked to the planning departmant rather than email, although I quess it works to the same idea, you add attach.

When you list the scale on the title block, would it be 1:1 (as drawn in model space) or the scale you choose in the viewports?

Thank you again.

Using
    Architectural DT 2005

Smile

choose the scale in viewports to the desired scale you want to print at....

for example 1:100 etc directly for the viewport...so the paper is seeing a 1:100 scale..

only leave the scale at 1:1 in the paper set-up menu or print menu

this means that when you select print preview...you will see the scale of 1:100

if things are still funny it might be because your printer won't print A3, you need to select the "windows printer" or "plot to file" other than your printer if your paper size doesn't show A3 when your setting the paperspace up.

cheers

iain

Using
    Architectural DT 2005

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Angora*ribbon View Post
    Hello All ,
    I cant plot preview as I only have an a4 Printer
    you can if you select the "microsoft office document image writer" or some similar print device other than your A4 printer...

Using
    Architecture 2009

You are using the planning portal. This is a means of submitting you planning applications electronically, rather than printing hard copies and sending them via snail mail.
    You certainly do not need to limit your self to A3 or A4 just because that’s all your “real printer” can handle. I’m not in front of my work computer at the moment, but I think that you would be submitting you drawings in PDF or DWF format. Using either of these “printers” you can set up any ‘A’ sized paper and print.
    As iain9876 suggested, create a series of template files for each of A3,2 and 1. You can insert these as blocks into paper space, create viewports for each of the views, set these to 1:100 for plans and elevations, 1:200 or 250 for site plans and 1:1250 or 1:2500 for location plans.
    "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." --Isaac Newton

ADT 2009

Using
    AutoCAD 2006

Thank you 42

I assume you would have to save to a pdf or dwf format? There seems to be so much college didn't cover!!

When I say I cant go above A4, its more that I cannot print preview to check I've set everything up correctly, a confidence problem more than anything, as this is my first drawing after college. I am very close to completing the first drawing (waiting on choice of materials) and I intend to send it across to the office to have it printed just to check its all in place.

I will return here when I get stuck though!!

Thank you for all the help so far

Using
    AutoCAD 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Angora*ribbon View Post
    Thank you 42
    I assume you would have to save to a pdf or dwf format? There seems to be so much college didn't cover!!
    I *think* sending as a PDF or DWf means you retain ownership and the control of the actual drawing content. They may redline changes etc, but you will edit it.

I would avoid sending *.dwg files as you will lose control.

Nick
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/80049703@N00/ http://mtbnick.fotopic.net/
    http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/ff241/dyNick_Scots/
    http://designgraphicsshowcase.blogspot.com/

High School Classroom - 21 AutoCAD 2007, Inventor 11, COREL Draw & Paint 11. Very Unreliable Network.

Home - AMD 2.1GHZ - 512Ram, 64 Video,
    Laptop Inventor 7, Autocad 2004, Corel 11

Using
    Architectural DT 2005

Laughing

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
    I *think* sending as a PDF or DWf means you retain ownership and the control of the actual drawing content. They may redline changes etc, but you will edit it.

I would avoid sending *.dwg files as you will lose control.

Nick
    sorry nick...will overrule you on this...people need to get out of this "drawing control" and only send pdf or dwf's mentality and share data so people can edit or add to suit....

There has to be an element of trust in this industry....if someone messes you about with a drawing that you "lost control with"...then dont work for or send anything to these people again...simple as that!

Free flow of work is paramount...there is nothing more annoying than for someone to send you a pdf when you asked for a dwg, and blab on about"control", and won't let you have the dwg !....they are seen as awkward, and mistrusting!

Moreover to their weak argument...(you can now get apps that will convert pdf drawings and dwf back to dwg...how about that!...)

It might help to mention that if they do make any changes - they should mark the area where changes are made and provide clear and precise notes as to the reasons for change.

BTW - awsome pics on your site!
    Last edited by iain9876; 14th Nov 2006 at 12:07 pm.

Using
    Architecture 2009

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Quote Originally Posted by iain9876 View Post
    sorry nick...will overrule you on this...people need to get out of this "drawing control" and only send pdf or dwf's mentality and share data so people can edit or add to suit....

There has to be an element of trust in this industry....if someone messes you about with a drawing that you "lost control with"...then dont work for or send anything to these people again...simple as that!

Free flow of work is paramount...there is nothing more annoying than for someone to send you a pdf when you asked for a dwg, and blab on about"control", and won't let you have the dwg !....they are seen as awkward, and mistrusting!

Moreover to their weak argument...(you can now get apps that will convert pdf drawings and dwf back to dwg...how about that!...)

It might help to mention that if they do make any changes - they should mark the area where changes are made and provide clear and precise notes as to the reasons for change.

BTW - awsome pics on your site!
    You need to take a chill pill. The point of this post was related to submitting drawings to the planning department, these must be submitted in PDF not DWG format.

We always submitt drawings to parties that do not require DWGs in PDF as record drawings. For those that need to work on the project, then DWG will be submitted.
    "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." --Isaac Newton

ADT 2009