Can I change the name of a drawing that is being xreffed?

ReMark

An outside consultant doing work for our Fire/Safety department created a series of drawings showing the locations of panels, alarms, lights, horns, etc. using our in-house building layouts. For whatever reason they renamed our drawings which they xreffed into their drawings. So, for example, the xreffed building layout was renamed bldg_1p[1] although the original drawing name was Bldg 1 Warehouse. Is there somewhere I can change the name back so when I open the drawing it will xref in our Bldg 1 Warehouse.dwg instead of their bldg_1p[1].dwg? Or do I have to somehow detach bldg_1p[1].dwg and attach Bldg 1 Warehouse.dwg to make things right?:unsure:

As you can probably tell we do not use xrefs.:ouch:

I need to have their drawing xref in our building layout by its correct name and not the name the design firm gave it. And the reason is they erased a lot of the original content so they could have a cleaner drawing to work with so certain critical objects are no longer shown.

You can repath the XREF to the proper file. In the XREEF manager, select the offending XREF in the top section. In the bottom section are the details. Go to the "Saved Path" and click on it. A button with the ellipses icon will appear. Click on it and browse to the proper file.

I need to have their drawing xref in our building layout by its correct name and not the name the design firm gave it.

You need to change the name of the file and then follow the above directions.

You can repath the XREF to the proper file. In the XREEF manager, select the offending XREF in the top section. In the bottom section are the details. Go to the "Saved Path" and click on it. A button with the ellipses icon will appear. Click on it and browse to the proper file.

Sounds like a plan Rob. I will give that a try. Thank you.

That is a good approach Rob. :beer:

RobDraw +1

Just changing the Saved Path works fine

and in the same section (lower part of the xref manager) you can also change the name "reference name" field - no need to rename any files

no need to rename any files

It depends on the desired result. If the referenced file does not have the correct name. It can be renamed it, repathed, and the reference renamed in the referencing file all without detaching and reattaching.

If it were me, I'd put all the new drawings in their own folder (if not in one already) and point to them using the Xref Manager. You can also select the xref itself and change the path in its Properties. That keeps the new files from interfering with your own drawings. No need to rename anything (as steven-g points out).

Just wondering how I could start my own thread I have an issue and was wondering how to start one.... Sorry to butt in on this thread

Just wondering how I could start my own thread I have an issue and was wondering how to start one.... Sorry to butt in on this thread

Find the proper forum and open it. Now find and click on the green button that reads Post New Thread.

An outside consultant doing work for our Fire/Safety department created a series of drawings showing the locations of panels, alarms, lights, horns, etc. using our in

Ok I'm a little confused your xreffing a drawing that was renamed back into your drawing? I have to do this all the time with drawings I get from architects but I don't send them back to the architect, I use the drawings to do my fire alarm design and then submit to the fire marshal. Unless your licensed to do fire alarm design you can't submit drawings for fire alarm systems. Unless these are drawings for bidding on a job then the consultant should have just done the design without changing the file name because the local fire alarm company has to confirm the design make changes then submit.

Everything has been worked out to our satisfaction. The consultant was documenting an existing system. I just needed to make sure the name of the drawing that was being xreffed in was the correct one and not what they decided to name it.