Stretching doesn't snap to specific angles

When I draw a line, and Polar tracking is on, the cursor snaps to angles, making it easy to draw horizontally or vertically. But if I try stretching a line (via grips), the cursor doesn't snap anymore. What happens and how can I fix this?

Thanks.

We probably need more information. I turned on Polar mode, which I've never used before, and it worked for drawing and grip stretching.

Is the Polar mode not working at all, or is it not working at the angle(s) you want? Have you checked your settings? Are you using Polar Snap or Polar Tracking?

We probably need more information.
Here is what I did:

- Draw an angled line;

- Hover over one grip, then select Stretch from the menu;

- Click and move the end of the line as if trying to make the line vertical;

- The (moving) line never snaps to the vertical, unless using Object Snap Tracking.

It never will, in the case you are describing it will remain horizontal or vertical from the original position of that grip point, to make the line vertical (or horizontal) from the fixed end, you have to use tracking, the command modifier "from", or the "change" command (which is hard to describe and even harder to understand - at least is is for me).

As mentioned, the Change command will make the line vertical, if Ortho is set to on. You can also use point filters and osnaps, as well as the from modifier mentioned.

If I understand your question correctly, you want to draw a line that is not vertical (or at some arbitrary angle) and then drag one end to make it vertical. One of the geniuses here probably knows how to do that in a single bound.

Here's my solution. Click on the end you want to move. Type .X for a filter. Select the other end, which supplies the X coordinate. The prompt will ask for Y. Once you pick a point, the end of your line will be vertically aligned with the beginning, in other words your line is now vertical. QED. Use .Y for horizontal.

I turned on Polar mode, which I've never used before, and it worked for drawing and grip stretching.

I don't use Polar mode all that much in my work, but I bet that, having NEVER used it, was an eye opener, eh? :beer:

Edited by Dadgad

I don't use Polar mode all that much in my work, but I bet that, having NEVER used it, was an eye opener, eh? :beer:

I'm always surprised to learn about basic AutoCAD functions like this. I used to turn Ortho mode on and off, which was a pain, but now I don't have to use it.:geek:

I'm always surprised to learn about basic AutoCAD functions like this. I used to turn Ortho mode on and off, which was a pain, but now I don't have to use it.:geek:

Hopefully you are aware that by holding down the Shift key you can temporarily override your Ortho or Polar, to cycle from ON to OFF, or OFF to ON, without having to turn it on or off. If for instance you typically want it ON, and only occasionally need to cycle it OFF, on the fly.

You think polar tracking is the bomb? Wait until you try object snap tracking!

This is weird, I've had that turned on, but it doesn't work consistently. It's kind of like freemium software, it works fine until you really need it.

Most likely UIE. I've been using both for many years across many versions. Once I started using them, ORTHO hit the circular file bin and hasn't seen the light of day since.