Import Pipes Name from Excel

Ahmed Elsaabbagh

As far as I know, the only type of data you can import from Excel is points. Even if you could get pipe names from another file, I'm not sure how you'd know which name went with which pipe. Unless you gave the two ends of the pipe, but then you'd have to identify the entities at the ends.

You could probably write a VBA script to assign pipe names, but the same dilemma happens. Which name goes with which pipe? Unless your project involves several hundred pipes, or you're a VBA whiz, it may take less time to enter the names manually.

Ahmed Elsaabbagh Have a look at Pipesample.dvb may have the answers its buried deeply in c:\program files\Autodesk\civ 3d ....... You may be able using the VBA code as a guide to write a Lisp version also.

Cyberangel getting into the civ3d database can be quite difficult but contrary to your "only import points" that is if you are using "IMPORT" if you go via programming you should be be able to carry out so many procedures via reading excel info, it is about knowing what data you can get at easily using lisp or .net

Older versions like 2012 had a lot more example code for doing things in VLISP etc under the CIV3DAPI, make surface models, pipenetwork, to mention a couple.

One of the horrors with CIV3d is a lack of throw the data out and bring it back in all filled in. Dont mention styles and the 101 answers required. We have one piece of software and it exports to excel and brings back, it is much quicker to fill in that way than doing on screen in the original software and check for input errors as you go.

Edited by BIGAL

Cyberangel getting into the civ3d database can be quite difficult but contrary to your "only import points" that is if you are using "IMPORT" if you go via programming you should be be able to carry out so many procedures via reading excel info, it is about knowing what data you can get at easily using lisp or .net

I stand corrected. At my current job I don't have C3D. No way to check my answers except by Web search. For the obscure stuff I have to rely on my memory, which is not what it used to be.

I do admit we dont use the PIPES inside civ3d so I am not sure about the original question as what the poster was really after in data input time saving, but answered the question as a more it can possibly be done.

I really think everyone how tray to help me, what I need exactly is showing serial labels on the pipe, the DWG is already finished with random names... now we can export all network data with lisp COT and modified it, can we import it again to CIVIL 3D ? This only proposel to save time..