Depolying Company Standards

guitarguy1685

I will be deploying company CAD standards soon. I think I have everything set and read to go. I would like to get some input if you think anything I am doing may be problematic. Also if you have some methods that seem to work for you I'd love to hear them. Let me list my process below.

Things I will be deploying.

1. Enterprise CUI
  2. Custom Menus (included in enterprise cui)
  3. Custom Toolpalettes
  4. Custom AutoLisps
  5. I will also be setting file paths for templates, plotstyles, etc.

To begin this process the first thing I did was consolidate our library onto one location on the server. They were previously scattered all over the place. I organized it as follows:

/Network/CAD

/Network/CAD/Blocks

/Network/CAD/CUI

/Network/CAD/ToolPalettes

etc.

The way I plan to roll out the new standards is via an autolisp. When you run this lisp it will set all the required paths.

The Menus come in with the cui.

The company lisp file is an .mnl file that automatically loads with the cui.

I think this will set all company standards in place. Am I missing anything?

sounds about right. make sure the folders are read only to the masses. We use a simple bootstrap.lsp file to initieate all of our customizations on a new install. just have to drop it into a folder on the harddrive that is already in the support path structure and away it goes.

You can set file paths etc via lisp do you have that info ? Can post an example if you dont.

What about the project naming control do you have something set up ? A database back end for searching dwg's and transmittals.

You can set file paths etc via lisp do you have that info ? Can post an example if you dont.

This is what I'm using. We have some people that are not in the office so our CAD library will be loaded to their local computer. I wrote the lisp to deal with this.

(vl-load-com)

(defun SetPath ( /	TabFileObj crPath Location NetPath
		LocalPath NewPath)

;+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+ error handler +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
 (defun *error* ( msg )
   (princ "error: ")
   (princ msg)
   (princ)
   )
;+=+=+=+=+=+=end error handler +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

(setq TabFileObj	(vlax-get-property (vlax-get-property (vlax-get-acad-object) 'Preferences) 'Files)	;;;Files Tab Object	
crPath		(vlax-get-property TabFileObj 'SupportPath)						;;;Current Support Path
);end setq

(initget "Local Network")
 (setq Location (getkword "\nSpecify the location for  Standard Libray [Local/Network]: ")
NetPath		"L:\\Engineer\\CAD;"
LocalPath	"C:\\CAD;"
)

(if
   (= Location "Network")
   ;---------------Network path setup-------------------------------------------------------------
   (progn

(setq NewPath (strcat NetPath cRpath  ))
     (setvar 'TRUSTEDPATHS (strcat "L:\\Engineer\\CAD\\CUI;"
			    "L:\\Engineer\\CAD\\LISPS;")
      );end setvar
     (vlax-put-property TabFileObj 'SupportPath		NewPath)
     (vlax-put-property TabFileObj 'TemplateDwgPath		"L:\\Engineer\\CAD\\Templates")
     (vlax-put-property TabFileObj 'PrinterStyleSheetPath	"L:\\Engineer\\CAD\\PlotStyles")
     (vlax-put-property TabFileObj 'EnterpriseMenuFile		"L:\\Engineer\\CAD\\CUI\\.cuix")
     (vlax-put-property TabFileObj 'ToolPalettePath		"L:\\Engineer\\CAD\\PalettesLegacy")

(setenv "SheetSetTemplatePath" "L:\\Engineer\\CAD\\Templates")

(princ "\n=+=+=+=+=  NETWORK SUPPORT PATHS SET =+=+=+=+=")
     );progn1
   ;---------------Local path setup-------------------------------------------------------------
   (progn

(setq NewPath (strcat LocalPath cRpath  ))
     (setvar 'TRUSTEDPATHS (strcat "C:\\CAD\\CUI;"
			    "C:\\CAD\\LISPS;"))
     (vlax-put-property TabFileObj 'SupportPath		NewPath)
     (vlax-put-property TabFileObj 'TemplateDwgPath		"C:\\CAD\\Templates")
     (vlax-put-property TabFileObj 'PrinterStyleSheetPath	"C:\\CAD\\PlotStyles")
     (vlax-put-property TabFileObj 'EnterpriseMenuFile		"C:\\CAD\\CUI\\.cuix")
     (vlax-put-property TabFileObj 'ToolPalettePath		"C:\\CAD\\PalettesLegacy")

(setenv "SheetSetTemplatePath" "C:\\CAD\\Templates")

(princ "\n=+=+=+=+=  LOCAL SUPPORT PATHS SET =+=+=+=+=")
     );progn2
   );end if

(setvar 'MENUBAR	1)
 (setvar 'GALLERYVIEW	0)
 (princ)
 )

What about the project naming control do you have something set up ? A database back end for searching dwg's and transmittals.

Not sure what you mean by this?

Various people here will have different ideas about drawing naming we use a very simple year project no, so each July we will start next dwg with 2017001 as the dwg name. It can have sub titles if required like 2016123-A 2016123-B etc we dont have the need like others for 2016123-Arch, 2016123-Civil and so on.

We use a access database to record every single project we can find 99% any project since 1996, it has multiple entries so can search on various fields.

You need consistency "Freds widget" find that in 5 years time. Ok I can here it now but Fred got bought out by Barney so all recent projects have been Barneyxxxx the new guy can not find because he never knew about Fred.