Need help with this design! Please

Ghynes440

i have been at this design for a few days trying to figure out what I can do to make these clips stronger. As soon as I go to test fit them it just snaps the flips cause there is not enough flex+strength. I've printed dozens of these with minor changes and they all break. I've printed in abs, petg, and pla. I have a cheap mono price mini select printer for now. If anyone can help me I'd appreciate it. I'll send the stl file to anyone who has any recommendations. I am a beginner, this is my 3rd design so far and the only one I can't figure out! Here are just two pictures of what I'm talking about. Since the pictures I lengthened them a little, added a fillet, switched back and forth between thicker and thinner.

image_1.png

image.png

The pics are pretty small so its hard to say. Is the part going to be 3d printed in its final state? I would assume so based on the wall thickness differences in the image. That in mind the orientation you print it will matter. If you 3d print it with FDM in the orientation it is on the screen you will have weak lines where the clip meets the plate. Chamfers on the back side where it meets the plate might help.

Another note is that you have a wide clip and as you insert it into the other part you have a long straight edge that will be the focus of all the insertion force. If you cut out the middle of it where it meets the base(and slightly into the base itself as a small relief) that might help.

As a general rule of thumb, sharp corners are called "stress risers". This is an even bigger problem with 3d prints built with FDM since they are built layer by layer, and chances are your snap will be built on top and it won't be as strong where it meets the plate. If your end goal is injection molding you have to design it differently than if your goal is 3d printing.

Hope some of that made sense...

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see any pictures... :-|

The only way to make "Home Based 3D Printed" objects stronger is to make them thicker.

The "home based printed" objects are not going to very durable or flexible.

I'm sure that will change with time..

Our small printer does a decent job but if the print gets wet, (exposed to water) it's over...

We always have to thicken parts at the "connection points" too

If you want "real strength" you'll have to get them printed with an industrial printer

with a material with stronger properties. (per your need)

We've had things printed that you could throw high into the air and have them drop

on concrete and they wouldn't even chip. Scuff, but not chip. Which is impressive.

That is not cheap..