Preventing Layers from Being Purged?

LydiaGP

Morning all,

I'm working on updating some files that are used as templates. The company format for templates is a DWG file with a title block created, all of the layers created, dimension and text styles set, LTS set, etc. To use the template, we copy the file into a folder created for the facility, then rename it to whatever the facility name is. We have a CAD team then that creates a separate, facility-specific drawing and inserts it into this drawing as a block. Then the information in the title block is changed as needed and the drawing is sent along to a member of another team, who places fixtures into the drawing and puts them on their respective layers. The second team has very minimal AutoCAD training as that is not their primary job.

To minimize file size we want the second team to purge the drawing. However, we still want to retain the unused layers in case fixtures are added at a later date that will need those layers (since the second team is not so AutoCAD savvy, if the layer isn't there some will just put it on "0" and change the color of the fixture rather than creating a layer for it and putting it on that layer).

My question is: Is there any simple way to prevent the unused layer from being purged? I know the "purge" command allows you to select what will and won't be purged, but since the second team does not have much AutoCAD experience this is not feasible.

This may be a rather hokey workaround, but I'm thinking to draw some very small lines in some portion of the title block that won't be disturbed, put them each on a different layer, and set the color on all of the lines to white so they don't show. Then make them part of the title block. I know that's not very technical, but I think it would do the job which is the ultimate goal.

Any suggestions for a better way to accomplish the goal?

Thanks in advance!

Open up the title block and at the midpoint of one of the polylines (anywhere basically) add a series of points, and place each one, on one of the layers that you use, that way there is always something in the drawing on every layer and the layer can't be purged. I mentioned the midpoint because one drawback could be if someone uses a point style, and then the points show up, but if you set the UCS to Front or Left (depending on which edge they are) before drawing the points, then you won't see them if a point style is applied. Just don't forget to set the UCS back to world when you finish :lol:.

"Draw some lines" put them ever so slightly away from lower left and rescale them down to be really small like 0.000001 long. They will plot as a dot if you use extents as your limit but if they are so close to a title edge you will probably not see it.

Write a simple script or lisp to create.

OR you could design some lisp routines that purges everything besides the layer info. As said purging has the option to purge only the things you want when done manually.

But the whole process of creating the drawing seems like assembly line work.. Person 1 creates a template, person 2 puts the template in a drawing and places the dwg file in a project folder, person 3 draws the objects and person 4 purges the drawing to keep the file size down.

Looks like it can use some optimisations...

Morning all,

This may be a rather hokey workaround, but I'm thinking to draw some very small lines in some portion of the title block that won't be disturbed, put them each on a different layer, and set the color on all of the lines to white so they don't show. Then make them part of the title block. I know that's not very technical, but I think it would do the job which is the ultimate goal.

Any suggestions for a better way to accomplish the goal?

Thanks in advance!

that is a good way to do what you want. KISS.

if these blocks always end up on the same layer in a drawing, put the linework in the native block on that layer. Layers come with any inserted object into the receiving drawing. If the layers are already there, no sweat. If they don't exist in the receiving drawing, they will be created upon insertion.

None of these methods of creating graphical entities on layers will prevent those layers from being purged, because the entities can be removed.

Try and purge the 3 layers in the attached drawing. And note that DBLIST confirms there are no graphical objects in the drawing.

purgeme.dwg

None of these methods of creating graphical entities on layers will prevent those layers from being purged, because the entities can be removed.

Try and purge the 3 layers in the attached drawing. And note that DBLIST confirms there are no graphical objects in the drawing.

[ATTACH]61452[/ATTACH]

But they insert the blocks and then purge, by my understanding.

Seems like a lot of trouble to go through just to keep a few layers from not being purged early on in the life of the drawing.

Put every conceivable layer in the drawing template file that everyone thinks they will need. The last person to work on the drawing is responsible for purging the layers, etc. that were not used. Done. If that person can't handle the responsibility then he/she should find a more suitable career.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I somehow didn't see all these other replies. So, months later - thanks all! Some good considerations.

ReMark, your comment made me laugh a little. I do wish it was that simple, but drawings are not necessarily ever "fully" completed. I had one recently that was dredged up from 2007 or so to add more equipment! I guess it's a good problem to have, as I work for the company that sells the equipment...

Dont forget you can add as many layers as you want at any time, a very simple copy and paste from a text file or scripts in LT ?

If you have acess to a full Autocad or post here you can export out all the layer details to a text file some one will do for you.

• 5 months later...

Personally i gave up on this block purge trick years ago as i would rather my users purged & audited there drawings, just educate your users to use the design centre save your template .dwt as a favourite location in design centre problem solved (so they don't even need to look for it, still i am assuming that you keep your layers in a template ;) ).

Edited by KiLLiNG-TiME

• 5 months later...
On 6/8/2017 at 7:15 AM, steven-g said:

DBLIST and XDATA are not available in LT :facepalm:

XDATA is stored in the DWG file. So download a trial of AutoCAD or BricsCAD, edit the DWG, done. 🙂 

12 hours ago, rkmcswain said:

Using what application/version?

I opened the drawing in DraftSight 2017, and saved as R12. I opened this in R2005 and purged Regapps and the three layers.