Discipline
    Construction
    steven-g's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Draughtsman
    Discipline
    Construction
    Details
    I work in the estimating department of a large building contractor.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2017

Default Memories

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

I know this isn't the usual forum to be associated with Autocad LT, I'm just hoping someone here may know how to solve this issue. I have a macro that eventually will repeat several thousand times, to optimise polylines (remove zero lengths, join segments etc. overkill alone doesn't cut it), but that's beside the point. The macro works exactly as I want it too, for 43 cycles, and then it breaks Autocad.

It took me a couple of days to pin down what was going on, as to why the macro was faulty, but it isn't. After 43 (on my desktop - 33 on a laptop) then Autocad starts acting weird, selections are not recognised but remain highlighted. If I close LT saving the drawing. I then reopen and can run the macro again for the next 43 items. So I have a Windows shell file that runs and repeats Autocad to get through the whole load of polylines, this works but is not ideal.

From what I have found Autocad can run out of memory resources, and I'm just hoping someone will recognise one of the commands that is causing this so that I can maybe approach this in a different way, or know of a command to free up the memory again, rather than closing and reopening. Regen or saving don't work.

Here's the macro, and if anyone can help there is also a drawing file with a couple of hundred polylines that I have been using to test it on. Basically, the macro selects the polylines one at a time doe's its thing and then moves them to a frozen layer, so it can get at the next one (I know it's a bit Flintstones but this is LT ). It would be nice if someone can run this and check system resources to see what is going on, which isn't an option in LT.

Code:
    *^C^C^Cmove;0,0;;0,0;0,0;change;p;;p;la;1;;explode;0,0;ss;l;;m;0,0;0,0;-overkill;p;;;region;p;;l;0,0;10,0;;ss;l;;m;0,0;0,0;erase;p;;explode;l;ss;l;;m;0,0;0,0;pe;m;p;;j;;;change;l;;p;la;2;;
    PS peditaccept has to be set=1
    Attached Files

Computer Details
    ReMark's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    Intel DX58SO2 LGA1366 X58
    CPU:
    Intel i7-960 Quad-core 3.20GHz 8MB cache
    RAM:
    12GB (3x4GB) PC3-106000 DDR3
    Graphics:
    nVidia Quadro K4200, 4GB GDDR5
    Primary Storage:
    150GB Velocipraptor 10,000 rpm
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Dell P24LLH - 24" wide screen LCD
    Discipline
    See details...
    ReMark's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    CAD Draftsman/Designer...chemical manufacturing.
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

What are your system specs?

What's running in the background?
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

Eat brains...gain more knowledge!

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.

Computer Details
    rlx's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    W10
    Computer:
    i74ghz/ssd500/2tbhdd
    Discipline
    Electrical
    rlx's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    electrical designer dragon
    Discipline
    Electrical
    Details
    I dont excel in anything but I rearly give up
    Using
    AutoCAD 2012

I have almost zero experience with LT , mainly because you (normally) can't use lisp so I guess command (gc) is out of the question? Would put a couple of qsave's in your macro free up resources? But autocad is known for memory issues. Else find a bigger system to do your work on if the number of drawings is limited... At my work I typically restart autocad a couple of times per day to avoid memory issues and I only work in mdi if needed.

gr. R.

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    CPU:
    RAM:
    Graphics:
    Primary Storage:
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Discipline
    See details...
    Occupation
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Restart AutoCAD a couple of times a day to avoid memory issues? That's absurd. How much RAM do you have? What is your swap file size? Have you tried deleting your graphics cache files (probably only necessary if you routinely work with 3D solids, non-mesh surfaces or regions).
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.

Computer Details
    steven-g's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Win 7
    Discipline
    Construction
    steven-g's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Draughtsman
    Discipline
    Construction
    Details
    I work in the estimating department of a large building contractor.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2017

@ReMark
    the laptop is a Lenovo Yoga 700
    intel i7-6500 2.50GHz
    with 8GB RAM
    running Windows 10 and Autocad LT 2017LT

at work, I'm not sure but just found out today that after months of nagging I will be getting a new model in the next week or so.
    Normally I would have Autocad, Revit, Excel plus any number of other programs running, but this problem persists even with a fresh start up and only LT running.

@rlx (hi neighbour - I'm in Hoogerheide every weekend), Autocads memory hogging is what I'd read, I have tried qsave on every line as well as regen to no avail, I will try saveas see if swapping drawing files works but with thousands of polylines that could end up being an enourmous folder. Purge doesn't help and indeed garbage collection is out of the question in LT. Closing and opening Autocad with the batch file works fine, just a little slower than I'd like and not neat and tidy.

Computer Details
    rlx's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    W10
    Computer:
    i74ghz/ssd500/2tbhdd
    Discipline
    Electrical
    rlx's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Discipline
    Electrical
    Details
    Using
    AutoCAD 2012

Quote Originally Posted by ReMark View Post
    Restart AutoCAD a couple of times a day to avoid memory issues? That's absurd. How much RAM do you have? What is your swap file size?
    absurd? maybe... but it works for me. Don't know the size of the swapfile but mem is only 4 Gb , now that's absurd. Normaly drawings I use are below 1 mb , a few are bigger. But if I have a really big one I restart my pc , make sure autocad is the only program I start (can't disable company background apps). And to see autocad is really in SDI mode I have a button on my toolbars which changes color to show wheter autocad is in sdi or mdi mode. Autocad isn't great with memory management. Also I hit the qsave button many times during my drawings sessions because I hate work , I hate overwork more , but what I really hate is to have to do the same work again.. so to avoid the message nobody wants (an error has occurd , autocad cannot continue etc etc bladibla...) I frequently save my work.

gr.Rlx

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    CPU:
    RAM:
    Graphics:
    Primary Storage:
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Discipline
    See details...
    Occupation
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Did you shut down your anti-virus program? Did you shut down your browser? Did you disable all of Win10's bells and whistles?

Don't tell me we have to go back to the good old days of memory management programs like QEMM.

Have you tried using ReadyBoost (a feature of Win10). You'll need a USB flash drive.

Have you used Windows Task Manager to identify resource hogs?

Have you tried using a RAM cleaner?

Finally, have you considered adding more physical RAM?
    Last edited by ReMark; 14th Jun 2017 at 07:18 pm.

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    CPU:
    RAM:
    Graphics:
    Primary Storage:
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Discipline
    See details...
    Occupation
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

rlx: Living with a problem is not the same as fixing one. Wouldn't you prefer a long term solution rather than a workaround?

Computer Details
    rlx's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    W10
    Computer:
    i74ghz/ssd500/2tbhdd
    Discipline
    Electrical
    rlx's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Discipline
    Electrical
    Details
    Using
    AutoCAD 2012

Quote Originally Posted by steven-g View Post
    @ReMark
    the laptop is a Lenovo Yoga 700
    intel i7-6500 2.50GHz
    with 8GB RAM
    running Windows 10 and Autocad LT 2017LT

at work, I'm not sure but just found out today that after months of nagging I will be getting a new model in the next week or so.
    Normally I would have Autocad, Revit, Excel plus any number of other programs running, but this problem persists even with a fresh start up and only LT running.

@rlx (hi neighbour - I'm in Hoogerheide every weekend), Autocads memory hogging is what I'd read, I have tried qsave on every line as well as regen to no avail, I will try saveas see if swapping drawing files works but with thousands of polylines that could end up being an enourmous folder. Purge doesn't help and indeed garbage collection is out of the question in LT. Closing and opening Autocad with the batch file works fine, just a little slower than I'd like and not neat and tidy.
    Hallo 'buurman' :-)

Guess you have read all (vl-every / vl-some) of the autocad links which say , well , nothing usefull but to get more Ram...

If time is not an issue you can cut up your drawing or the process it self but I agree it's not elegant. I did once have a drawing , something like 40 mb , tiff converted with winTopo , so even every letter is a bunch of lines. In the end I just redrawed the d*mn drawing myself because connecting al the dots , changing layers / styles etc just wasn't worth it.

gr. Rlx

Computer Details
    rlx's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    W10
    Computer:
    i74ghz/ssd500/2tbhdd
    Discipline
    Electrical
    rlx's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Discipline
    Electrical
    Details
    Using
    AutoCAD 2012

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Quote Originally Posted by ReMark View Post
    rlx: Living with a problem is not the same as fixing one. Wouldn't you prefer a long term solution rather than a workaround?
    Nice one , maybe something to put on a tile for on the wall :-) But I have to work with the tools given to me so sometimes I have no choise but to work arround the problem...