3D Design Research Survey (VERY Quick)

jeffjnh

Hey all!

My name is Jeff and I am conducting research for a startup that provides a platform for 3D Modeler/Designer/CAD people to register and receive contracts from people who need models and designs. We are very very early stage and before we bring our platform to the market we need to gather some information! If you would be willing to fill out the brief survey (in the link below) I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks for reading, whether you fill out the survey or choose not to, I appreciate your time!

Jeff J.

(Ultimaker 3E)

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd_xR1kaagSyICisDDgxfrJQ4EuzEVM2mJ4NX6ByEGdnp8FkQ/viewform?usp=sf_link

Jeff i filled it out but i wanted to elaborate a bit here. GrabCAD tried to do something like this(or does), as well as other sites. The main issues as i see them are these.

Quality

Price

First location. There are CAD users all over the world, and that's great, but there are places that have thousands of users in need of jobs with mediocre skills willing to work for a few dollars an hour. I have nothing wrong with this but if your site allows people charging a large range from $2/hr to $200/hr it won't work.

Quality. Again very important. To be a "go to" site you need to make sure you have top notch users. While location can have two similar skilled users that charge a very different rate, quality also will have an impact on customer happiness and return customers.

Price. If this is going to be a bidding site you need to be careful as well. I don't haggle on price but a lot of consultants might.

If you really want to draw in consultants and want to retain a fee from that you need to provide a service that is difficult for the self-employed person. You need to collect the payments from the client and pay the consultant. If your site offers a way for the customer to easily pay you, and you easily pay a consultant that would be worth something.

Just my 2c

There are CAD users all over the world, and that's great, but there are places that have thousands of users in need of jobs with mediocre skills willing to work for a few dollars an hour.

And that's why I don't participate in these types of bidding sites anymore. I cannot compete with people in other countries where the cost of living is so low that they have no problem charging only a few dollars per hour for their services. It has been my experience that those guys get all the work while I end up wasting a lot of time bidding on jobs that I'll never get. This sort of marketplace site sounds good in theory, and if the playing field was level it could work pretty well, but as mentioned:

if your site allows people charging a large range from $2/hr to $200/hr it won't work.