Dwg model disappear

mattjazzwood

Hi All

All of a sudden 3ds max has started acting strange..

I usually build models (architectural) in autocad and then open them up in 3dsmax for applying materials and a environment and then doing some renders.

But now when I import a model as soon as I try to rotate it or zoom in or do anything the model disappears and so does the navigation cube and I can't seem to recover it, yet it must be still there as all the layers are still listed in the layer explorer, its driving me insane......

Any idea anyone, please

Matt

It sounds like maybe your model is far away from the origin X0,Y0. Hold down the Alt and Ctrl keys and then hit "Z" to Zoom Extents. Or hold down the Ctrl key and hit "A" to select all and then hit "Z". That should bring your model back into view.

In the future, it's usually best to move your model to the origin in Autocad before bringing it into Max.

I guess you solved the problem on your own? Can you tell us what the issue was? :unsure:

when I import a model as soon as I try to rotate it or zoom in or do anything the model disappears and so does the navigation cube and I can't seem to recover it

The problem is as I described previously. Your model is way too far away from the origin X0Y0. I opened your file in Autocad and moved everything to the origin and then imported it into Max and everything works fine. You can zoom, pan and orbit around and nothing disappears.

You got it...I thought I d tried that but I obviously hadn't...

Can't thank you enough it was driving me crazy...

Best regards

Matt

Matt