Link 2 attribute texts in a block

Hello

I have no idea where to post this so I apoligize if this is the wrong forum, but I was wondering if the following was possible:

the setup is that i have a series of blocks that have multiple attributes in them, meant to get them in a list through DATAEXTRACTION.

However alot of these attributes will consist out of a code, which isn't usefull to most who will see the printed plans.

Is it possible to link a FIELD (or text) to the attribute and display text depending on what the value of the attribute is? (i.e. I'd make the attribute itself invisible)

It would be needed that both of these texts are attributes, as they both have to be shown in the list received from DATAEXTRACT.

as a random example:

if the value = RAL9005 the text displays black

if the value = RAL9010 the text displays white

etc.

Currently i have been messing with the FIELD option Diesel Expression with the following line:

$(if,$(eq,$(getenv, Lookup2),test1),"abc","DEFG")

Lookup is used to give a dropdown menu to select the initial text (test1) and the second attribute has to show 'abc' when 'test1' is shown on the initial attribute. (the idea was to add multiple if-functions where 'DEFG' is but i'd rather get this bit to work before going on further....)

However this is not giving me any results. I suppose I dont have a grasp on how the Diesel expressions work yet so any help would be highly appreciated.

thanks for any help.

The description has lost me slightly, as to exactly what you are trying to achieve, but before you get too far, you should know that a field inside a block will only report the values contained in the block description file, and will not update to edited values in a dynamic block. It just won't work, there is a trick to get an attribute to read a second attribute within a dynamic block that does use fields and will update, but I don't really think that is what you are trying to do here.

What isn't clear is why the field needs to read an attribute if that attribute already contains the code word, or is this to do with displaying "White" when code "RAL9010" is entered.

What isn't clear is why the field needs to read an attribute if that attribute already contains the code word, or is this to do with displaying "White" when code "RAL9010" is entered.

Yes, the idea is as follows.

Attribute 1 is something manually entered and is invisible which would be a code that defines the colour and material that is meant for production (but clients or other people seeing the plan have no interest in this usually difficult code).

Attribute 2 would follow out of attribute 1 (i.e. the code) and show in normal words what colour and material were selected.

example:

attribute 1 = AZQB070FA200 --> attribute 2 = White wood

attribute 1 = AZQN070FA200 --> attribute 2 = Black wood

I realize that if there is a way, i'd have to define each code seperatly to a description but that would not be a problem.

Something like this maybe ?

It uses 1 lookup to act as a drop down choice to pick your code from, and a second lookup to store the color values

and these are then fed into attributes as fields but only one of those shows in the drawing. The 2 lookups are linked together by the common linear distance parameter that is just there for the purpose of making the link.

DropDown.dwg