2018 conversion

SRN

we were just forced into upgrading to 2018 from 2015LT. However some machines still run the old software. Now anyhting that is saved on a machine running 2018 will not be opened by 2015LT because "it was created in a newer version of AutoCAD. is there any way to stop 2018 from autoconverting the files, or to save them in a file format previous versions can open?

In the save dialogue box, you have the field for the name, and below that should be a drop down menu to save back to any previous version you want, it has always been that way I doubt that has changed, 2018 has brought with it a new file system so indeed anything older won't be able to open the newer file type, but you always have the option to save back. Failing that Trueview (2018 ) will also save any newer files back to an older format.

thanks steven. should have thought of that but got so used to the quick save button using someone else's file name because they still wanted it called that when they got it back updated...

thanks steven. should have thought of that but got so used to the quick save button using someone else's file name because they still wanted it called that when they got it back updated...

The conversion doesn't re-name it by default, but you can manipulate the name field as you choose before hitting the save button.

You can set 2018 to autosave as 2015, always by default.

Options - Open and Save tab. 1st section down. ;)

To be specific, 2013 is the highest save back choice. Same file format 2013 through 2017.

Well whichever it needs to be ;)

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

:shock:yeah, I work with a guy that's been AutoCading since 2000i and he didn't know the file format changes from time to time, much less when.;)

:shock:yeah, I work with a guy that's been AutoCading since 2000i and he didn't know the file format changes from time to time, much less when.;)

I have an few older guys that work with me and while they know CAD some of the ways they work just makes me cringe. ;)

I have an few older guys that work with me and while they know CAD some of the ways they work just makes me cringe. ;)
I could tell you stories.... Same guy. The year is 2015. The software is AutoCad 2008 LT. He used 2002 until 2008.

The method for xrefing/linking is...

prtscn hardware info sheets from internet.

Copy sections of the hard copy architecturals,

paste the prtscns to MS Paint. Crop/edit. Print it.

Cut some blank space from around the printed images.

Tape it to a piece of paper with only a title block printed on it.

Now comes the fun part.

Scan it all again, along with several years old re-copies of re-copies of re-copies of hardware cut sheets, and a hard copy of the rest of the project to the server.

Have an AA convert it to a multi-page pdf.

email the pdf to the client.

AND by all means fill the room up with hard copies of all that so the shop guys can come and make more copies for themselves.

Seriously? :o This guy was submitting images of cabinet hinges that were so re-copy pixilated and smudged, that they looked like Sweet Gerkin Pickles. :shock:

I quickly, in no uncertain terms, made it clear that I was not going to go through all that. Even though "I have a better way" is the last thing the New Guy should do in the first 24 hours, I did it anyway.

Within two weeks, I talked the owner into up to date AutoCad versions.

I gave a short xref class, including IMAGEATTACH and PDFATTACH. For some reason we don't use dwg files from the architect, probably because some charge for them...

I showed the drafting guy how to handle generating pdf docs from AutoCad, and now it takes him 10 minutes to do what used to take several hours.