Mirroring drawing

samifox

hi

after completing a set of drawings built with block strategy my client told my to rotate and mirror the planes to a new north.

since im using lots of block with text inside them , going inside each one and rotate/mirror can be a nightmare.

any idea to overcome this task?

Thanks

S

Obviously it's a bit late now, and I can't think of a good solution as it stands, but if you end up having to redefine all your blocks anyway, it might be worth doing the "text" as attributes, which would then be able to rotate and move independently of the block (while still being part of the block).

dJE

Not sure what the block strategy is. Could you provide an example?

why one wants to use blocks? avoid rapid actions and keep constantivity

i have a florplane, roof plane , i will block out all the geometry and annotation of the swing pool, warehouse in blocks so i dont need to change them rapidly in every plan

I know what blocks are for. I didn't know it was considered a strategy. As far as I know, blocks are an AutoCAD staple and your calling it a strategy threw me off. You'd be hard pressed to find a drawing without blocks. Maybe it's a language translation thing.

With that being said, I had a similar situation come up just today, but it's really early in the project. I did have something similar happen once near project completion. Once, in 15+ years of MEP drafting. There is no easy button. There is going to be work after doing the rotate and mirror and depending on the drawing, it may be a lot of work.

The project that it happened to me on consisted of over 50 plans and got an add service put on to the fee. This kind of change after, or even near, completion is worse than a major design change from a drafting point of view.

Not really, that situation that came up today that I mentioned earlier... is a Revit project.

Architect decided to rotate the plans to match the civil/site drawings which have North as plan left. We started with plan up. I haven't seen the site plans yet and until I do, I won't understand why the deviation from industry standards.

Similar to AutoCAD, changing our model to match a new orientation is really easy. Most of our electrical stuff will follow the linked background when I make the change. The other trades need a simple manual adjustment. I still have to make adjustments to what little annotation is there and all the views (there are a lot of views) and this is really early in the project. Still a lot of work.

Trust me, it is an absolute reality. I'm living it and have been for a long time. Please, put that myth away.

Yeah, some things are automatic that aren't in AutoCAD, but this type of thing is always a lot of work if your drawings have a lot of annotation.

BTW, if you can determine some specific repetitive tasks, parts of this can be automated in more than one way but it is very subjective to your workflow.

i think autocad will live more decade or two till a new generation of drafters wont use it anymore.

i believe that Revit still subject to improvement.

to approach of BIM will take it all finally