Using the Match Properties tool in Autocad

I would be grateful if one of the Gurus here would give me a step by step explaining the Match Properties tool in AutoCAD. I have enclosed a typical drawing, showing a center hole represented by solid lines, instead of dotted lines, as it should denote a 3/16" hole, in a tool-jaw. I am attempting to convert solid lines to dotted lines in existing drawings needing updating.

Thank you,

Andrew

Rear Jaw.dwg

If you want to use Match Properties then you need something in the drawing to match. Create a new layer for the dotted lines and then draw out a line in your drawing and put it on the dotted line layer. Then you can initiate the Match Properties command, select the dotted line as the "source object" and then click on whatever objects you want to inherit the objects properties.

Here's a video that explains the process:

Make sure your line type scale is not so large that ONE dash isn't bigger thsn your object, or so small that the line only LOOKS like it is solid.

As long as the layer for the dashed lines will be made, simply select all the lines you wish to be dashed and then select that layer from the dropdown list. 2000 does have a layers tool bar, right?

the commandline also often gives a good hint as to what is going on and/or what user input is required.

E.G. for matchprop i expect it will say "Select source object" or something similar, then it might say "Select destination object" .