Strange behaviour when trying to fillet.

Donald Yungling

Greetings, I have recently moved from AutoCAD LT 2000 to the full version, student, of AutoCAD 2017. I am trying to self teach myself 3D drawing so I can have various detail parts printed up for my live steam hobby. This is my first attempt. A .stl version was uploaded to Shapeways and it is apparently a viable model. So far all my 3D information has come from various YouTube videos.

The attached drawing was built up from several extrusions, created by intersection the extrusions and using the appropriate Boolean operation to arrive at the desired shape and pushpull subtractions. Although usable as is, I would like to slightly fillet most the edges. When attempting a fillet on this version, scaled down from a full size version, it looks like all of the geometry used to create the model becomes visible, see attached .jpg screen shot.

So... did I make a mistake in the creation of the model or just missed a step to clean up the geometry?

Thanks

Donald

Lower Brake Shaft Support.1327.dwg

Lower Brake Support OMG.jpg

Welcome to CADTutor Donald. :) Did you use the INTERSECT command to generate it? It sounds like you didn't, and it would probably be an easier way to do it. I don't have time to look at this now, but don't be put off by the fact that the modeling history is being displayed as you are selecting edges. Just create and save a copy, and have a play with it. Read and follow the commandline prompts carefully.

Edited by Dadgad

Hello ReMark, Dadgad,

Thanks for the replies.

Depending on the polylines used and the end shape, all 3 types of Boolean operations were used in the creation of this model.

Tried the fillet on your version, r .010", and seem to be doing well. Noticed some new blue lines after the fillets were completed and attached my filleted version for your consideration.

Meanwhile, what was the secret to cleaning up the part?

Donald

Lower Brake Shaft Support_ReMark 01.dwg

Fillits and blue lines.jpg

Could be an anomaly caused by your graphics card. If you do an Erase > All how many objects are found? Did you try a REGEN after seeing the lines. Unless something does not fillet as you expect then I would worry.

Hello ReMark,

Only one item listed when trying to erase. Regen makes no difference. A save seems to clear it up. Moved from the I7 2.4 GHz. 4gb. ram ASUS laptop with Intel integrated graphics to the fairly new Dell desktop with a 4gb. Nvidia card, 16 gb. ram and a 3.4 GHz I7 processor. The blue lines were on that computer as well. Again a save seems to have remove them.

Meanwhile, most of the edges that I desired to fillet have been done so. A few edges would not fillet, either too complex or just unable to do.

The drawing is back off to Shapeways where I will order the parts to see how they turn out now that most of the sharp edges are gone. The prototype part was an iron casting so sharp edges weren't part of the design.

So for now it is time to move on to the next part. I really appreciate the assistance and still would like to know how my original drawing was repaired.

Donald

Sometimes if you are having a problem, choosing another perspective from which to make your edge selection might be helpful. Try choosing a perspective which gives you an unobstructed line of sight to the edge which you are trying to select.

"So for now it is time to move on to the next part. I really appreciate the assistance and still would like to know how my original drawing was repaired."

I exploded your part creating a number of surfaces which I then converted to a solid using the SURFSCULPT command.

BTW....I double checked your original drawing before and after going through my procedure. There are no stray duplicate lines in the solid model so once again I think what you were seeing was just an anomaly and nothing more. You can stop looking for aberrations because none exist.

Gentlemen,

Thanks for all the help. I had spent a considerable amount of time tying to find the problems solution before asking on this forum. The explode and SURFSCULPT worked quite well for me and I am glad to have this additional bit of knowledge. While trying to find the SURFSCULPT icon on the ribbon I learned how to search commands using the application menu.

My earlier attempts to learn 3D on other programs were very frustrating to say the least. Now though, I have specific parts I would like to have made and learning the 3D process has become a necessity. The part you guys have been helping me with appears to be usable and Shapeways is in the process of making them for me.

So you can see what I am working on, here is a link to a video of my steam locomotive in operation.

http://www.svlsrm.org/videoplay.php?id=50

Mine is the black one numbered 4403 and operated by my father. My current project is a caboose for the end of the train and this is but one of the many parts needed.

Donald

Gentlemen,

I posted a thanks yesterday however a message popped up stating that a moderator needs to review it before it can be cleared. I had attached a link to a YouTube video which may have caused the problem. Anyway, the explode and SURFSCULPT command worked. While searching for the SURFSCULPT icon I picked up a couple of other tidbits, moving forward is good.

Shapeways has the filleted model and I am anxiously awaiting the finished product.

So... thanks for the help and I am sure there will be other items I need assistance with as other models get drawn up.

Donald