Move a line parallel to the nearest point of an arc.

tmelkunas

I have a line that I need to copy parallel to the closest point on an arc. How do I accomplish this? Thanks for your help.

I presume that you have tried the OSnaps and are dissatisfied with the result.

I would draw a temporary line, perpendicular from the line to the Centre of the arc. Where this line intersects the arc is the required point through which you could offset the line.

Line to arc.PNG

Welcome to CAD Tutor!

If eldon's solution doesn't match your problem, please provide more information. If you don't know about the object snaps for Tangent and Perpendicular, you might want to look into them first (as eldon suggests).

I have a line where the face of my building is. There is a building setback line in front of it that is not radial to that line. I need to move the line at the face of my building to a point on the arc that is closest to the building. How do I move the line to the closest point of the arc?

I have a line where the face of my building is. There is a building setback line in front of it that is not radial to that line. I need to move the line at the face of my building to a point on the arc that is closest to the building. How do I move the line to the closest point of the arc?

I would use eldon's strategy. Draw a construction line from the center of the arc to the perpendicular point on the building face. Where that line intersects the arc is the nearest point. Move some point on your building to the intersection. If that is the setback line, you're done. If not, you can offset the the line by the setback width to get the final location. Finally, erase the construction line. All you have to do is finish drawing the building.