Viewbase Layer Names

JWhelp

Hi All,

Just wondering if there is a system variable that i am not aware of which would dictate the of the viewbase layer names. ie. MD_Visible...etc

Ideally, I would like to change the layer name completely to comply with my drawings standards.

I already use Lee Mac's Layer Director to move 'Viewbase/project/section/details' commands to a 'MD_Drawing View' layer, which is useful to stop them ending up on any old layer, but there seams to be no way of changing where the 2D geometry goes.

Surely this would be an easy thing for Autodesk to change but in the time being, anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

I don't believe the viewbase layer names are controlled by a system variable. You would have to use the RENAME command to change them or override them in the Layer Properties Manager.

Unfortunately 'MD_Visible' is a fairly meaningless name in relation to our drawing standards but my users are too disinterested to change the default names using conventional means.

You'll have to talk to the good folks at AutoDesk regarding the "fairly meaningless" layer names. Until such time as they see things your way you can use a lisp routine or even a script to rename the layers as you see fit.

Hi All,

Just wondering if there is a system variable that i am not aware of which would dictate the of the viewbase layer names. ie. MD_Visible...etc

Ideally, I would like to change the layer name completely to comply with my drawings standards.

I already use Lee Mac's Layer Director to move 'Viewbase/project/section/details' commands to a 'MD_Drawing View' layer, which is useful to stop them ending up on any old layer, but there seams to be no way of changing where the 2D geometry goes.

Surely this would be an easy thing for Autodesk to change but in the time being, anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

It has been a while since I used Viewbase, but I seem to recall that if you changed those layer names, that the next time you used it, those layer names would be used.

Untested, but that seems to ring a bell. Hope I am correct. :|

Or you could use the LAYTRANS command (with wildcards *) to do it, after the views had been generated.

I did a test, and it seems my recollection may have been erroneous.

What you can do in the Layer Manager after creating the views, select the viewbase layer names ending in Hidden, and in my case, I then right click and select merge selected layers to, and then I select Steel Hidden, as that is the layer I want them on.

Then I choose the Visible layer, and repeat that process, but choose the layer Steel, as that is the medium in which I am working, and the layer where I want them to display.

After you do that, they will look like a drawing you did yourself, with appropriate coloration.

LAYTRANS may be your best bet, for an in house solution.

Viewbase layer testing.JPG

Edited by Dadgad

LAYTRANS is something I'd not seen before. Could work in combination with a script/reactor to keep the layers in check.

Thanks very much for the input chaps. :)