Metric to Inches

Casio47

Hello,

I have received a file in metric...all dimensions are in mm.

i want to create new dimensions on the drawing, but wish to have them read inches instead of millimeters.

How do i do that in options?

Thanks

go into the Dimension style manager, Primary Units, at the Scale factor swipe over the 1.000 and type in 10/254, OK out of that dialog, Close the dim style manager, and try it out.

• 1 month later...

I do lots of work with drawings from far away which are done in metric. What I found was to not think of the drawing being drawn in mm or cm or inches...even though they are. Just think of the model space as units. And units can represent everything from inches, to feet to miles, to banana peel thickness, etc...As the other posts here reference, just handle this in your dimension style settings, Good luck.

One thing to be carefull of when converting metric to feet or reverse is what is the part to be used for if you said to me make a 1 foot long part would I make it 304.8 mm or because everything else has been standardrised I would make it 300mm. This can lead to complications a bench top is 600mm or is it 2 feet 609.6mm suddenly it does not fit. There needs to be a clarification as to exactly how the units are to be compared.

go into the Dimension style manager, Primary Units, at the Scale factor swipe over the 1.000 and type in 10/254, OK out of that dialog, Close the dim style manager, and try it out.

+1 For rkent's approach.

Assuming that is sufficient.

Should you need to, you could use the -DWGUNITS command to convert the drawing database to Inches, then tweak the dimstyle Primary Units to Inches, without changing the Scale Factor, it would be left at 1.0.

If you are interested in going that route, be sure to create a COPY of your drawing, and work on that one, not your original.

Expand your commandline line history to display about 10 lines, and read all commandline prompts slowly and carefully, doing it right is more important than doing it wrong fast. :|